Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 12-13-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Powerbelts

anyone ever use the 223g powerbelts in 50 cal.?our deer in east texas are not that big is that bullet to big? i'm using 185g xtpbullets/sabots now i just like the idea of a bore sized bullet. am i wrong? would the powerbelts be easier to load?thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Powerbelts

is this for a .45 caliber rifle? You can try them, they should not be too big or small for any deer. Shot placement is the key to all of this. Then shoot the one most accurate. I personally like to be a little over gunned for everything I hunt. I seldom worry about too much projectile for the creature. I want to stop them and plant them where they stand...

good luck hunting.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:41 PM

it is a .50 cal just wondering about that. a guy in our camp was telling me that the bigger grain bullets would not expand enough and just pass through i just can't see that if shot placement is good i'm kind of new to bp but sounds like bs to me
Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 PM
Dominant Buck

I've never shot a 223 grain powerbelt, never even heard of them. I do shoot the 245 grain Aero Tip but never got to shoot them into a deer yet. I personally like big chunks of lead. As for expansion, a powerbelt is already 1/2 inch wide. How much more expansion do you need then that?

Old 12-13-2005, 08:11 PM

jeeze sorry i asked
Old 12-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad, the 223gr Powerbelts are new this year. I believe they only come in the AeroTip. I have not tried them either. Looking at the trajectory, they are not much different than the 245 gr Powerbelts and don't have as much punch downrange. Check out the Powerbelt sight for the info on them.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pineywoods

jeeze sorry i asked
Don't get me wrong.. glad you asked the question. I just never heard of it. I really like playing with all kinds of projectiles. I will have to watch for them and read up on them. They sound interesting. A lot of people do get very concerned with bullet expansion. I was not making any personal attack on you. If you took it that way, I apologize.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pineywoods

it is a .50 cal just wondering about that. a guy in our camp was telling me that the bigger grain bullets would not expand enough and just pass through i just can't see that if shot placement is good i'm kind of new to bp but sounds like bs to me
It is BS!! A .50 bullet that does not expand but "just passes on through" is sure as the devil PLENTY to kill Central Texas deer. Or even a Colorado elk, for that matter!

In this day & age, we are all accustomed to thinking in terms of expanding bullets due to the fact that expanding bullets are required in little guns (under .40 cal.) in order to quickly kill thin-skinned game! But in truth, how many of such bullets usually expand to over half-an-inch? Not many!!

The Power Belt is a good bullet for killing deer, if it shoots accurately in your gun - so is a .490" patched round ball! Just put either in the right place! (The Power Belt .50 does not have to expand to kill a deer!!)

In addition, loading/reloading with Power Belts is a pure pleasure compared to any "sabot" contraption.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

eldeguello

In addition, loading/reloading with Power Belts is a pure pleasure compared to any "sabot" contraption.
of course you would know that I disagree with your thoughts entirely. Loading a "sabot contraption" does not need to difficult, in fact it is fairly simple if you do your homework. Plus you do not need to worry about the bullet coming off the powder and you are normally shooting a much better bullet.

Powerbelts are nothing more than an elongated "round ball," not that there is anything wrong with a round ball. Even the copper powerbelts are just thinly plated to allow the lead to expand to catch the riflings.

For hundres of people the PowerBelt works fine, but you will find a lot more people shooting more if those "sabot contraptions" than you will PB's.
There are way to many more advantages in shooting the sabot/bullet combinations. The different opportunities offered are almost endless...
Old 12-14-2005, 07:03 PM

I haven't used the 223, but have used the 245 in areo tip and killed a decent eight pointer this year with it. It was broadside at about 40 yards I hit it a little high, and the bullet went in between the ribs on the foreside and exited on the far side after hiting a rib. The exit hole was about twice the size of the entrance. He ran about 45 yards and piled up.

Quick Reply: Powerbelts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.