Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 best way to unload?without firing? >

best way to unload?without firing?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

best way to unload?without firing?

Old 11-29-2005, 06:32 PM

Default best way to unload?without firing?

my group (4 of us) all have sidekicks whats the best was to unload without shooting it off? simple enough un screw the plug but is that not a good idea dont we all use anti seize on the threads dont the pellets get some on them when they slide through?? and how to you push the sabot out?? doesnt it get messed up? is it reusable??
Old 11-29-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best way to unload?without firing?

Well, there are many ways. You might want to try this.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat20819&navAction=push&navCount=3& amp;parentType=index&parentId=cat20819&id= 0006480
Old 11-29-2005, 06:44 PM

I finally had to unload my muzzleloader without shooting the other week. The second shot was not needed the deer was dead. I brought it home, and living in a subdivision I could not shoot it to unload it. So, I unscrewed the breech plug and started pushing the load through the breech, but only the pellets came out beforeIreached the end of the rod! So, I carefully used a broken screwdriver to tap the bullet out. Next time I will get a ramrod extension for this sort of thing.

The pellets were a little deformed; the edges broke off when they hit the floor, but still reusable at the range. They had a minor amount of grease on them. The powerbelt is still useable too. It just had a few land marks on it.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: y_not5

my group (4 of us) all have sidekicks whats the best was to unload without shooting it off? simple enough un screw the plug but is that not a good idea dont we all use anti seize on the threads dont the pellets get some on them when they slide through?? and how to you push the sabot out?? doesnt it get messed up? is it reusable??
With your sidekicks, take the breech plug out and push the pellets out. They will not make as much of a messas you think. I pour out loose powder. Then I have a range rod. The range rod is 32" long. I set that rod end on the floor, slide that into the breech end of the rifle, then push the sabot and projectile back out the muzzle. After that take a patch or two and the barrel should be very clean with little effort.

Take a breech plug brush and wrap a patch over it. Reach in and wipe out the threads in the rifle for the breech plug. Then wipe the plug off, re-grease and assemble the rifle back together. You can also run a oil swab patch down the barrel. Remember to wipe that oil back out in the morning before you reload the rifle.

Also do not use the pellets or sabot over the next day. Use new pellets and sabots. And keep the old ones for the range.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad why did you push the bullet out through the muzzle and not through were the breech plug goes
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM

I just shot a 4-point on Monday morning & reloaded because last year I did have to shoot twice. Anyway I didn't need the second this year and when I got home I just threaded a screw jag to my ramrod, worked it a couple turns into my powerbelt(HP) and it pulled right out. Then I just tipped the muzzle down and all three pellets slid out, a little BP risidue on them but still quite usable.

CM
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: A.D.D. BOY

Cayugad why did you push the bullet out through the muzzle and not through were the breech plug goes
If I push from the back of the sabot out the muzzle, I do not disfigure the nose of the projectile making it worthless. Sabots are cheap, projectiles can cost a lot of money. So I'd rather waste a sabot then the bullet.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

For In-lines with removeable breech plugs:
With the muzzlepointed down and the rifle un-primed, just remove the breech plug, then turn the muzzle upward and dump out the powder and then slowly push out the projectile out the projectile from the muzzle to the breech end.

For caplocks and flint locks and other inlines without removable breech plugs:
Un-primethe rifle. Use a ball-puller attachment to your ramrod on one end and a t-handle or rod puller on the other and slowly pull out the ball or conical.

Or, there are available Co2 dischargers that have adapters for both inlines and sidelocks. Like the one from Cabela's that pse-archer mentioned.

Tahquamenon
Old 11-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Co2 discharger or bullet puller - then push out everything else using ramrod entrance thru the breechplug hole. Then do not bring the ramrod & smaller jag back up the same way. Let it exit thru the muzzle-end. Then screw on the breechplug again without any anti-seize - in order to block any leftover powder from getting on the breechplug threads. Swab the bore & oil again. Then remove breechplug - clean the breechplug face with a rag - make sure the small hole is not clogged with a sewing needle - put anti-seize on it & re-install.

So after doing all this, the Co2 is much easier.