Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ML trouble & question >

ML trouble & question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ML trouble & question

Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 AM

Default ML trouble & question

I tested my CVA yesterday and after putting in 2ea 50 grain triple 7 and a sabot ..I fired and it went like 10 yards. I wasn,t sure if the sabot came out and I refired and nothing ..went home disassembled and nothing in barrel..what could cause this?? Thanks
Old 11-25-2005, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ML trouble & question

I would guess that your powder was wet. Had you cleaned it recently or used any oil in the barrel? It's always a good idea to pop a few caps before loading the first sabot.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

NJ8pointer,
It's hard to determine what caused the problem without having been there and with the amount of information given. Just guessing, I'd say you got a bad batch of pellets. I had this happen to me once with the Triple 7 pellets. The darn things didn't go off after poppinmg several 209 primers and it wasn't because of oil or moisture in the barrel or the way I stored the pellets. The pellets were burnt on the outside,and they never fired. I planned on sending them back, but I haven't yet. This was shortly after they came out with the Triple 7 pellets and it hasn't happened to meagain since then.
I do not know how you store your pellets or your loading procdures, but if you can rule this out, I'd say "bad pellets"
Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NJ8pointer

I tested my CVA yesterday and after putting in 2ea 50 grain triple 7 and a sabot ..I fired and it went like 10 yards. I wasn,t sure if the sabot came out and I refired and nothing ..went home disassembled and nothing in barrel..what could cause this?? Thanks
Sounds like a powder failure, in which the primer had enough poop to empty out your barrel. Buy some fresh powder, and maybe some new primers. Then make sure your bore is totally dry before loading.

After you clean your bore next time, swab it out with Birchwood-Casey Sheath as a preservative, DON'T USE ANY GREASE OR OIL in the bore!! Grease on breechplug threads is OK, as long as none of it gets into the rifled portion of your bore.

The SHEATH dries, leaving a dry, protective coating that won't kill your powder when you load up next time.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

All of the people hit the problem... start your shooting on a clean dry barrel. It sounds like your powder was bad. Also, what primers were you shooting? A hotter 209 primers is sometimes required to get things moving in there. I've read reports by other shooters where some of the Remington Kleenbore Primers have not really did their job. Weather conditions of course would have played a big part in this. Go to the store and get a powder measure and a pound of loose Goex, Pyrodex, APP, or Triple Se7en, and some Winchester W209 primers. Set the measure at 100 grains and try it again. Loose powder seems to be very easy to ignite since I shoot #11 caps in all but three of my rifles, and have never yet had one pop and roll the crud out the barrel.

Were the pellets on fire when they came out the end of the barrel? Kind of makes you glad this happened at the range and not when it was crunch time with a large trophy class standing 50 yards in front of you..
Old 11-25-2005, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NJ8pointer

Hard to say since you failed to mention where youstore the powder - how old it is -where it's been outside of your home - did you take the whole box outdoors & what were the weather conditions when/if you did.

We cannotproperly solve your dilemmayou until you offer us more information.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Thanks everyone..it was bad powder..stored in basement..learned my lesson..got new triple 7 and it works great. I am still not as good of a shot as I am with my shotgun,bow,22 or 357 magnum..I need to practice more....never really accurate..any ideas on how to improve??
Old 11-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Dominant Buck

If these are Pellets, (2) 50 grain pellets and the right projectile should be much more accurate then a shotgun under the same circumstances. What projectiles are you shooting?

here is where I would look for accuracy...
245 grain Aero Tip Powerbelts w/100 grains of powder
295 grain Powerbelts w/100 grains of powder
240 grain XTP with 80 grains of powder (that's where I would start on that load and then work them up to their best group)
250 grain Shockwaves w/85 grains of Powder (working the load)

that is one reason I like a clear see through powder measure and loose powder. My CVA Staghorn Magnum shoots the 245 grain Aero Tip with excellent accuracy shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f.

Good luck with your rifle..
Old 11-27-2005, 01:37 PM

295 grain Powerbelts w/100 grains of powder- thats what I shoot..I just got back from some more target practice and am concentrating better and trying to be aware of my form.. How far should I expect a good shot on a deer. I am hitting a 10 inch circle at 60yds but less accurate at 100.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Is this free standing or off a bench rest. If this is off a bench rest, that rifle needs a lot of work. At 60 yards off a bench rest, most of the open sighted rifles will shoot under a 3" circle.

If this is free standing, make yourself a shooting stick and start using it. They used to say if you can hit a paper plate you can kill a deer. I never agreed with that. I think I should be able to place my shot. For instance, what if your shot is between some trees, so you must be very accurate with your shot placement. The paper plate killer may well kill the tree. I would rather kill the deer.

You really might want to try some other bullets. My Staghorn hated the 295 grain powerbelts. I got the best accuracy with the 245 and actually the all lead 348 grain shot real well.

As for how far you could shoot, that would be your decision.

My one stand has most shots of 30 yards or less. So today I was practicing at the 30 yard range with my Renegade shooting iron sights off the bench and off shooting sticks. I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2f and 300 grain Hornady XTP .430 diameter with Thompson Center Mag Express sabots. I was shooting into a Campbell Soup Can that was hanging on a string. I was pleased that I never missed the can. Our muzzleloader season starts Monday, and I have a good feeling that I could hit a deer if it came through.

Quick Reply: ML trouble & question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.