Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cold weather hunting >

cold weather hunting

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cold weather hunting

Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM

Default cold weather hunting

just wondering if there is anything we need to do or watch out for when hunting cold weather (well below freezing) canada mainly, we use tripple 7 pellets, and rem cleanbore primers, out of sidekicks, just wanted to be sure we have everything coverd,
Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 AM

Default RE: cold weather hunting

The only real issue I have had in very cold weather was trying to get a sabot down the barrel of clean cold gun.Got a 250 Barnes X stuck about two inches down the barrel and had to warm the gun up for several hours to get it out. I would recommend loading it at home - once the gun is fired, it seems to reload OK even in cold temps.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

y_not5
One thing I think of when you say you are using pellets in really cold weather - maybe you might want to have a fairly hot 209 if you are using 209's... the pellets are little harder to ignite than loose...

Barrel boots to cover the muzzle ??

Good luck Hunting - wish I were going... instead of teaching school.

Old 11-22-2005, 01:27 PM

well I have tags for a dec5-10 seasone actually we have 3 maybe 4 dont know if one member of our group is in or not, but it will be atleast around freezing druing mid day and well below around the best times and most likely to get a shot off dusk and dawn, should we see if regular 209 primers work the same as the rem cleanbores?? just for the extra heat or should the Rem ones to the trick.. I am just wanting to cover my bases cause were we hunt they get some huge bucks and I wanna make sure I here the ka-boom and not just Ka- lol
Old 11-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

y_not5

Here is the deal, if it were me going on a hunt like yours, I am not sure that I would trust the new Rem ML 209 in that cold of weather. To be on the safe side I would go with a hotter primer especially if you are using pellets. I useloose t7 and I know I can get ignition with a 209-4 at sub freezing temps... I am not sure of pellets and at that temperature using a hotter primer will not change you point of impact. As temp goes down so does the effeciancy of your powder... Just some thoughts...

Again Good Luck
Old 11-22-2005, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have herd the remingtons dont burn hot.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Get some Federal primers or Winchester W209 but I think the Remington Kleenbore in cold weather and with pellets are going to give you a head ache. Also they are pretty water proof, but you might want to put a finger cot over the end of the barrel to keep snow and stuff out of there. It will not effect accuracy and you can shoot right through it...
Old 11-22-2005, 06:14 PM

I target shoot all year 'round up in the laurentians, north of Montreal. I noticed that plastic turns pretty stiff in the cold so I shoot powerbelts. The bullet isn't in the sabot, it's in front. So the bullet doesn't have to squish the petals like ordinary
sabots do. No problems at all. As for powder, I like t7 ffg. Winchester primers.
never even had a hangfire. This year ml season was the last week of October,
the first two days, it rained. The last two days it was snowing. At dusk on the last day I fired my gun off before packing up, and it shot like I just loaded it a moment ago.