Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hawkin loads?

Old 10-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hawkin loads?

I am going to hunt with a BP rifle this year for the first time in 10yrs. I will be using a TC Hawkin 45cal. that my brother made 15 to 20 years ago from a kit. The gun still looks brand new and has probably been shot a couple hundred times, but not for at least 10 years. I used to shoot black powder and maxiballs with spit patch. I know a lot of technology has come about in the last ten years. I am going to shoot it this weekend to sight in and find a good load, bullet combo.

My question to you veteran shooters is 1) What type of powder should I shoot. 2) What size load and bullet would you start with and what other combos should I try.

I will have open sights and plan on shooting way under 100 yards max. Probably 75 and in.

Thanks for the help, I look forward to reading some tips.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hawkin loads?

When I used to have a .45 I used 75grs fff of Goex a .440 round ball and .018 patch...With a round ball anywhere from 70 to 80 grs in a .45 will do the trick...If your rifle will group them...Good Luck
Old 10-26-2005, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: RandallT

I am going to hunt with a BP rifle this year for the first time in 10yrs. I will be using a TC Hawkin 45cal. that my brother made 15 to 20 years ago from a kit. The gun still looks brand new and has probably been shot a couple hundred times, but not for at least 10 years. I used to shoot black powder and maxiballs with spit patch. I know a lot of technology has come about in the last ten years. I am going to shoot it this weekend to sight in and find a good load, bullet combo.

My question to you veteran shooters is 1) What type of powder should I shoot. 2) What size load and bullet would you start with and what other combos should I try.

I will have open sights and plan on shooting way under 100 yards max. Probably 75 and in.

In my .45cal TC Hawkens, I've settled onthe following two deer loads for their accuracy and deer taking ability:

90grns Goex 3F (FFFg) [or 100-110grns PyrodexRS (2F/FFg)]
OxYoke wonderwad over powder
.018" TC precut/prelubed pillow ticking patch
Hornady (or Speer) .440/128grn lead ball
Heart/Lung shot placement, no heavy bones,inside 75yds best

90grns Goex 2F (FFg) [or 100, 110grns]
OxYoke wonderwad over powder
.45cal/255grn TC Maxi-Hunter
Heart/lung shot placement, big bones OK, 100yds OK

These are proven deer loads in my rifles...good luck!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

In that rifle, the load you used ten years ago is still as good as any-you might try substituting a Maxi-hunter for the straight maxi-ball. My custom .45 Hawken with a slow-twist RB barrel likes 90 grains of 777 FFg with a plain MaxiBall....

Old 10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Randall

There's no mention ofyour rifle twist in your original post.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have no idea what the twist is. The gun is probably ten years old and was from a kit, so I guess whatever was standard back then. I don't have the gun here right now, so I am not sure if it is stamped on the barrell or if there is a way of checking it myself.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Dominant Buck

What make and model of rifle? With that information we could give you a good idea of the twist. Since it was a kit and 10 years old, there is no telling what rifle you have since back then most of the gun makers had traditional rifles and even offered kits..

Old 10-27-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

It is a TC Hawken 45 cal. with a side hammer percussion cap. That is all I know until I get the gun in front of me, then maybe I can see a model number or something.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it and will have a few different things to try out at the range.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is a TC Hawken 45 cal. with a side hammer percussion cap. That is all I know until I get the gun in front of me, then maybe I can see a model number or something.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it and will have a few different things to try out at the range.
I believe ALL TC Hawken rifles were cut with 1/48" twists from day 1.....
Old 10-28-2005, 04:36 PM

I believe ALL TC Hawken rifles were cut with 1/48" twists from day 1.....
Only the standard barrels are 1:48"...the round ball barrels are 1:66"

Quick Reply: Hawkin loads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.