Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pyrodex Pellets Question >

Pyrodex Pellets Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Pellets Question

Old 10-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pyrodex Pellets Question

I'm converting this year from straight Triple 7 powder to the pre-formed pellets. I will be using two 50gr pellets. My question is - when seating the bullet, is it possible to crush these things and compromise their effectiveness. With black powder or pyrodex, I always seated the bullet as tightly as I could.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex Pellets Question

Yes , it is possible to crush them and not reccomended . They are designed to work in their whole form , just seat the bullet firmly , but don't crush them .
Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

I'm converting this year from straight Triple 7 powder to the pre-formed pellets. I will be using two 50gr pellets. My question is - when seating the bullet, is it possible to crush these things and compromise their effectiveness. With black powder or pyrodex, I always seated the bullet as tightly as I could.
Since the title of your post is Pyrodex pellets, I am assuming you are going to load Pyrodex pellets, and NOT 777 pellets. If you are going to use Pyrodex pellets, apply about 80 pounds of pressure on the ramrod after you've seated the bullet.

If on the other hand, you are using T7 pellets, don't crush them......
Old 10-21-2005, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Just a question my self.. I was looking at the American Pioneer Powder sticks which is their form of pellets. I was wondering if a person was meantto crush them when loading. I even went as far as writing an e-mail to APP to see what the correct use of themis. For some reason they do not answer e-mails or thought the question was not important. I was wondering because of the distance your projectile would be off the breech if these were NOT crushed. On their sight it says to seat the projectile firmly on the charge. Well if the stick is in an uncrushed state in the bore there would be a lot of air space around the edges of the stick and the bore of the rifle. Also because of the length of the stick this would also increase the way the breech was presented. My concern was breech pressure.

Any APP stick shooters out there perhaps could answer this for me. To crush or not to crush, that is the question. Also if you are required to crush them at the end of the day, other then ease of loading, what is the benifit of the sticks?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys. They are 777 pellets. Is there a fine line between firmly seating and crushing? Is it something that can easily be done by accident?