Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

loads and powder

Old 10-01-2005, 02:32 PM

Default loads and powder

hi ya'll my phone was knocked out last week and today is the first chance i have had to post so i am full of wind.I was going through some of the post from last week up to today , now i feel much better. As i read trough the post new guns and loads were much of the topic. Last year i started shooting with bigger bullets, i had my guns set up for 2oo gr. xtp's hollowpointswith the mmp black sabots and 100 gr. of 777 lose powder or 2 pellets with this load i was knocking most of the deer to the ground or they would run a little leaving a blood trail a newbe could follow, but i had a bad thing happena big buck ran right up to me i'm talking ten feet ,yard dogswere chasing him, he stopedwhen he saw me and i shot. Hair flew and he hit the ground but he jumped up an ran off then the dogs came through . I thought it was going to be a short run before the dogs caught him ,but they left the country. When i walked over to where he hit the ground there was a little blood and a whole bunch of hair and i saw that my bullet hadcut a small sweetgum tree about the size of a broomhandle down. i knew that the bullet blew up before it hit the buck,i followed the trail finding very little blood and then it stoped i never saw him again. So after that i changed to speer300 gr 451. flat topped plated soft pointed 45 cal bullets with 120 gr. of lose 777. The rest of the deer and hogs i shot had holes punched all the way through. The gun i was using was a mk85 with the 209 setup.I was happy to see how the load was going but at the 100 yard mark the bullet started dropping . I didn't like that so i got some xtp 230 gr.full metal jackets and some 230gr hollowpointsand started working up a load for them in two guns the mk85 and a tc white mountain carbine both have scopes. The carbine has the # 11 primers and the mk85 i am using 209 cci. I am using the same powder load in both guns 120grs of 777. both guns are hitting hard out to 250 yards but i can only shoot that far using a table vise. After i got my guns sighted in i shoti bunch ofmetal 5 gallon buckets full of water ,some with the hollow points and the others with the full metal jackets. Both the guns grouped very well the 209 a little better. But the big diference was in the bullets ,the full metal jackets went all the way though blowing water about a foot in the air the entry hole was about the size of a dime but the hole coming out was as big as my fist,the hollowpoints went in and also blew water in the air and madea little bigger hole going inbut the hole coming out was only pencil size and two of the hollow points shots didn't come out they exploded ,but if it had been a deer it would have hit the ground . I shot a few times at a 100 yards and the hollowpoints had the power to bust the can wide open ,the fmj's only made dime size holes going in and out. Now am out of wind so i will just read some more,see ya'll in the woods.