Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Scope base & rings >

Scope base & rings

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scope base & rings

Old 09-05-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Scope base & rings

Just purchased a new .50 cal CVA Kodiak Mag. I'm looking for suggestions for a good set of scope bases and rings that won't move under 150gr load of 777. I would like to find a 1 piece base.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Scope base & rings

150grns of tripleseven wow, let me know how that elephant tastes my shoulder is sore just thinking about it. sorry I couldn't Help you on the scope issue but their are alot of guys here that will surely help you out. good luck
Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Leupole dual dovetail should be rock soild , dont know if you will find a one piece mount for your aplication , but a two piece would work allso .
Old 09-07-2005, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

I wanted a scope on my ML that would not break the bank. I went to Cabela's and they had a Pine Ridge scope with a universal one piece mount (weaver style) that fit my CVA Kodiak Mag. I realize this may not be the top of the line scope, but it is accurate and has not moved. Until I start using my ML more it works. However, I only shoot 100 grain loads with a 245gr powerbelt.
Maybe I have a problem when I have more weapons in my arsenal then vacation days from work to actually use them.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: keyway05

Just purchased a new .50 cal CVA Kodiak Mag. I'm looking for suggestions for a good set of scope bases and rings that won't move under 150gr load of 777. I would like to find a 1 piece base.
I would check your owners manual. I do not believe that CVA recommends a 150gr. load of 777. I won't shoot that in my Omega and believe me the Omega is likely stronger than the Kodiak (neither one of these rifles is a tremendously strong action and both are great within the design limits). Unless you are after Cape Buffalo I wonder what the need for that load is??? 90gr. of Black Mag'3 under a 300gr. bullet shoots completely through an elk chest cavity if it misses major bone at up to 100 yards. At least the last two I shot had that kind of result.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:19 PM

IMHO Warne makes the best scope bases, but they're not inexpensive and I don't know if they have anything that will work on a CVA. You can check they're web site.

150 g's of 777 is definately a snot-knocker, what ever scope you get make sure it has plenty of eye relief. There a picture of Jim Shockey in this months American Hunter. He's posing with a ram he bagged in the boondocks of Outer Mongolia. If you look closely you'll see he has wound closure strip just above his eyebrow. Looked to me like a obvious case of scope bite. I believe he shoots 150 g's of American Pioneer powder. You might want to invest in some wound closure strips...
Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Keith & Bugs on their concerns over too much powder. Try that Kodiak with 120 grains max 4-30 gr. pellets). Even that's enough power for 200 yards with any typical 240-300 grain mid-level, coefficient bullet. Trying to find shot-group accuracyusing 120-150 grain powder loads with Traditions/CVA Spanish barrels is another problem. You better bring along a box of 30-gr. pellets... because I doubt you'll find 200 yard accuracy with that rifle using only 3-50 gr pellets.

I've read enough posts on variousML forums across Americaon CVA users that have tried. I think one out of every four is successful. You may increase your odds at finding good shot groups switching to loose powder loads between 80-120 grains.