Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Targets - Sighting In >

Targets - Sighting In

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Targets - Sighting In

Old 08-24-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Targets - Sighting In

Any preferences as to target type when sighting in? standard bull w/black centre? or?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Targets - Sighting In

I print mine off of http://www.mytargets.com I like the 2" square red bull with the inch lines.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:15 PM
Dominant Buck

this is what I like to sight in to. It shows me in inches how much adjustment is needed..
http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/52_free_targets.html look over that sight and see if there are any targets that you like.. you can then print them to your computer printer and simply tape them to a card board box if youlike.. it saves you time and money..

it looks like that link I showed you is no longer supported ... at least by my system.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like several of the targets at mytargets.com. For hunting I use the 100 yard big game target that gives me a 3" high dot for refrence when aiming at the lower dot. Works great for a max point blank range sightin.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

I'm interested in the response to this question also, but I think you should specify what type of sights you are using. The targets I have always used for sighting in and testing loads with my scoped centerfire rifles don't seem to be the best for use with my muzzleloader with the fiber optic sights. What I ended up using was some 1 inch orange dots that I had, and I have been just sticking them on the back side of my targets. The 1 inch dots seem to work good for 25 yards, and at 50 they get a little hard to see, and at 100 I had to put 4 dots together. I think some larger dots would be better, maybe a 3 inch for 50 yards and a 6 inch for 100, but I haven't been able to find any at the local stores. Also I'm not sure if black or orange is better, and ifa circle or a square is better. Next time I go out to the range I think I'm just going to try making my own targets with a black marker. But I sure would like tohear from some people who are more experienced with shooting open sights. I'm really having trouble getting the sights lined up the same every time.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

quigleysharps, thanks for the link to my targets. I just looked at it and a couple of those might work good.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 AM

bdan68 - you're right - I shouldhave mentioned that I, like you, am shooting a ML with fibre optic sights. Find your comments interesting - if orange works for you perhaps just pick up some orange craft paper from office supplies store or craft store, and cut the circles to size.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

If you want an easy target for open sights, go to Wal Mart and get some of the bold colored 3"x 5" index cards. You draw a X from corner to corner, tape that to a box and then shoot for the center of the card.

This card was the first time I ever shot my flintlock a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle. I wanted to see where it was hitting and this was a good indication of what I could expect.. They make an excellent target and easy to see.. Keep your shots on a card and a deer has no chance.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM

good stuff Cayugad - actually now that I think about it, I believe there are a few different colored 8 1/2 X 11 sheets lying around at work. Will have to see what works best with the red on the front post and green on the rear sight of my Traditions LT. By the way, I had no problem accessing the http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/52_free_targets.htmllink, if that was the one you were referring to.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Fork Horn

That link worked for me also. I didn't try it until randy said it worked for him. Looks like some good targets on there also. I may try some of them out tonight.

Quick Reply: Targets - Sighting In

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.