Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ballistic information wanted >

ballistic information wanted

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ballistic information wanted

Old 07-29-2005, 10:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default ballistic information wanted

I have heard that inline rifles can match and even excel a center fire. I am sure there might be loads that can do that but I have no chronograph and am ballistic illiterate in that department. What kind of load do I have to push out of a .50 caliber and what kind of center fire do I have more whoop then.?

I know a lot of you out there are into numbers so I was hoping you could help me out. Also, after this data is given, let me know how many of you match a load like that when you shoot...

thanks.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ballistic information wanted

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I have heard that inline rifles can match and even excel a center fire. I am sure there might be loads that can do that but I have no chronograph and am ballistic illiterate in that department. What kind of load do I have to push out of a .50 caliber and what kind of center fire do I have more whoop then.?

I know a lot of you out there are into numbers so I was hoping you could help me out. Also, after this data is given, let me know how many of you match a load like that when you shoot...

thanks.
Basically, using black powder or one of the substitutes, what you have heard is a crock! There is no inline (that does not use smokeless powder) that can give you any more power or accuracy than you can get from a sidelock of th Hawken type, and NONE of them will ever equal a .30/'06, a .270, or even a hot .45/70 load in a Ruger No1 or No. 3!! It just can't be done. And there is only one ML on the market today that can safely use smokeless powder. It is made by Savage, and even it will not equal a modern HP cartridge rifle!

There are just too many wild claims being made these days by a lot of people who should know better, so be very careful hat you choose to believe!!
Old 07-30-2005, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I could not agree more. It was mentioned that a modern inline rifle will equal that of some centerfires. A 45-70 Government was mentioned. Now when I was younger, I had a chance to shoot an old bolt action 45-70 Gov and I remember the recoil and the down range energy from that rifle. So when I was told that an inline could duplicate those results, I was interested in trying to learn what load and powder charge would have to be used to make such a shot.

The 45-70 normally shoots a 405 grain FP projectile in around .458 diameter. I've found three different speeds for this cartridge. They ranged from 1300 fps to almost 2000 fps. Well I do cast a 405 grain pure lead FP .457 diameter bullet and shoot them out of a red Knight sabot. I was trying to see how much powder I would have to put under that thing to make some of these velocities. I have a feeling it would be more then I normally shoot, which is 100 grains of Goex 2f.

I do thank you for your reply...
Old 07-30-2005, 10:42 PM

Cayugad - some of the magnum loads, using three 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets and a sabot bullet, can come very close to the horsepower ofthe stiffest .45-70 load. In my Marlin 1895, I can safely get a 300 grain Barnes X going almost 2,000 fps (actual chronographed velocity). Out of my 26" T/C Black Diamond, I can get the 300 grain Expander MZ up to 1944 with three 50 grain pellets. Pretty darn close . . . .
Old 07-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Well then it is true that some of the modern muzzleloaders can get to some center fire standards. Of course I am not sure I want to shoot 150 grain loads.....
Old 07-31-2005, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad,

I think you have seen this before, but one day I was out with my A&H not really trying to set any velocity records, just checking a hunting load. I was shooting .458 (45-70's) 350 grain Hornady Round Nose bullets.

I, at the time, was thrilled with the velocity across the chrono.Especially with a 350 grain round nose. I have settled back a notch to a 300 grain Nosler Partition .458 bullet as my my Elk load. It is a little more efficient and quicker.

Any way here is the target and velocities - I appologize for for using blue ink on a blue target.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/458.jpg
Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

that is a real respectable load sabotloader. 1600+ fps for a 350 grain projectile. Having nothing more to base this on then a guess, I would put my 405 grains with 100 grains of Goex 2f somewhere in the mid to high 1400's since the powder charge is not as hot and the bullet is a little heavier. Again, a real respectable charge. I bet the elk do not care for them at all.

I have been shooting the homecasted 405 grains at100 yards and they have been behaving real good. The only thing I can figure the occasional flyer is from my casting. I cast them out of pure lead. A friend tends to think they are heavier then 405 because we did a homemade balance beem type test with a factory Remington 405 FP and the home cast were heavier.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Cayugad - some of the magnum loads, using three 50 grain Pyrodex Pellets and a sabot bullet, can come very close to the horsepower ofthe stiffest .45-70 load. In my Marlin 1895, I can safely get a 300 grain Barnes X going almost 2,000 fps (actual chronographed velocity). Out of my 26" T/C Black Diamond, I can get the 300 grain Expander MZ up to 1944 with three 50 grain pellets. Pretty darn close . . . .
I have a load for my Ruger No. 1 .45/70 that uses the Barnes Original 400-grain semispitzer (B.C. .389) at an instrumentalvelocity at 10 feet of 2270 FPS. This load shoots flatter than a .30/30 with the 170-grain bullet, produces a muzzle energy of 4580 foot pounds, and gives 57 ft/lb of recoil. Energy at 300 yards for this load is still 2550 foot/pounds! It drops only 7" at 300 yards, when zeroed at 250! I know of no inline ML that will do this well. Some get some pretty impressive MV's, but to do so they invariably use sabots holding very light-for-caliber bullets. These all lose velocity very fast, so the range on these loads is more limited than if you used heavier full-diameter conicals with a lower MV.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I don't shoot a modern inline, but I do have a sidelock. I get about 1200 FPS with my load of 80 grains of Goex 2f and a 370 grain T/C Maxi-Ball. Going off of other loads I have chronographed, 100 grains (max powder charge I can use) will only give me in the neighborhood of 1300-1320 FPS. I doubt even with a modern inline I could come close to matching the power of a modern C/F. I am sure that the ML's pack the punch of the smaller ones, as far as kinetic energy, but only for a short time. I am thinking like the .243, 257 Roberts, 6.5 X 55 and similar. Even these cartridges would probably actually surpass an inline ML after the 100 yard mark.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:19 PM
Dominant Buck

This is my reason for the search. It was mentioned on a different forum that modern inline centerfires can equal that of a center fire rifle. A 45-70 Government was actually used in this comparison. I felt this might be a boast but felt before I replied to this claim, that I should have information backing up my statement no matter which way the findings show..

Quick Reply: ballistic information wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.