Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What is a "Muzzle Loader" >

What is a "Muzzle Loader"

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is a "Muzzle Loader"

Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 AM

Default What is a "Muzzle Loader"

Ok, Im in NC and I dont know exactly what the rules are on "Muzzle Loaders". My dad has some pretty fancy black powder guns like old Maynards and some rolling block style rifles. Regardles, these types of guns take pre loaded cartriges (bullets and brass casing loaded with black powder) and they fire with caps and hammer. What Im wondering is if they really need to be "Muzzle Loaders" or if you can use these cartridge style rifles.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:12 PM

Default RE: What is a "Muzzle Loader"

Every state has a different definition of what a muzzleloader is. In my state, a muzzleloader is any firearm that loads thru the barrel, whether pistol, rifle, or shotgun. By definition, a cap and ball revolver is NOT a muzzleloader, becaue\se it loads thru the front of the cylinder, rather than the barrel.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:19 PM

In Colorado, a legal muzzleloader cannot be loaded from the breech.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

You're really going to have to check your state regulations. Some States define the kind of powders they allow and will not allow, Wisconsin for example forbids magnified optics, some States also have restrictions on projectiles, some restrict the kind of ignition the rifle can have, and many have caliber requirements.. About all the States doagree on is that the powder and projectile have to be loaded from the muzzle of the rifle.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Bloodstayn

Ok, Im in NC and I dont know exactly what the rules are on "Muzzle Loaders". My dad has some pretty fancy black powder guns like old Maynards and some rolling block style rifles. Regardles, these types of guns take pre loaded cartriges (bullets and brass casing loaded with black powder) and they fire with caps and hammer. What Im wondering is if they really need to be "Muzzle Loaders" or if you can use these cartridge style rifles.
http://www.ncwildlife.org/

"In NC, only muzzleloading rifles and shotguns may be used during muzzleloading season". ("muzzleloaders"...not "blackpowder" rifles)

There areno listingsoncaliber size or number of projectiles...and in the same vein they don'tlistwhat a muzzleloader is...however...it's implied thatit's a rifle that loads from the muzzle...not a "blackpowder" rifle which would be abroader category that would include the rifles you referenced

You can check the "regulations" at their website listed above.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bloodstayn

To me, it would be any arm than MUST beloaded by pouring powder in from the muzzle, followed by ball and/oor shot from the muzzle, and which has a fixed, immoveable breech and cannot be loaded thru the breech in any manner in the field. This would include all inlines as well as sidelock types.

Any arm which loads from the breech with a fixed cartridge is obviously NOT a muzzleloader, regardless of the type of propellant it uses...... nor is the caplock Sharps, Smith or Burnside, which use "semi-fixed" ammunition, but is loaded via a dropping breechblock or swinging barrel, then capped at the nipple on the breechblock....