Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Encore vs CVA Optima >

Encore vs CVA Optima

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore vs CVA Optima

Old 07-05-2005, 03:15 PM
Spike

Default Encore vs CVA Optima

This may sound crazy to some of you that are muzzleloader guru's, but outside of swapping barrels (on Encore), is their any real advantage of the Encore over the Optima. They both look similar and feel similar to me. But their is about $300 dollars difference in the price. I am looking at buying a new muzzleloader, and I like the design of these two, but I don't know squat about either of them.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Encore vs CVA Optima

You know I shot the optima here recently, and it shot wonderful. It was a 2MOA shooter. And to answer you question, there's not much of a difference. But also the barrel felt rough as a cob while swabbing it. It shot as well as some encores.My encore seemed smootherwhen loading and swabbing. But my encore didn't shoot that well either. Not as good as mydisc elite.

I would say you have much more better of a shot of getting a good shooting encore than a CVA.

Old 07-05-2005, 04:41 PM

I have a Optima myself and it shoots just as good or better than my friend's encore. I just wanted a cheap one to start out with and it has proven to be a good shooter so I see no reason to get another one. If I was going to do it again I would have gotten the Encore instead because it's better built and you can swap multiple barrels on it like a rifle, muzzleloader, and shotgun barrels with the Encore while you can't with the Optima. If you don't care about being able to switch barrels and just want a cheap one, the Optima will be just as good.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Both the Encore and the Optima are good shooting rifles. The difference is in a number of things. First there is the issue of quality of steel. Encore of course being American steel and rated one of the best rifles on the market. The Optima having a Spanish made steel barrel. The BPI barrels have had some serious issues against them but I personally have nothing against them and would shoot them in a heartbeat. If the barrel pressure testing issues are of no concern to you then this is a mute point.

The warranty of the Thompson Center is second to none. You have a problem and they almost always have an answer or solution to the problem. I have heard good things about CVA and the manner in which they back their products up. Still in ten years, who's warranty would you trust the most?

I personally do not like the Encore. I have no need for a rifle that will change out barrels to modern centerfire barrels. I would pick the Omega over the Encore any day. Beside I like the looks of the Omega compared to the Encore. Also the fit of the Omega was excellent. I really liked the balance of the Omega.

I have handled the Optima and felt it was a nice fitting rifle. I will admit that when I pulled to to my shoulder it did not line up to my point of sight like the Omega but I think with a little practice that would all come about. They are not as "finished" as some of the Thompson Center rifles I have looked at but then you have to ask yourself is this worth the $300.00 difference in price.

Last thing to consider is the resale value of the rifle. Here the Thompson Center is heads above the CVA. Not just because it costed more in the first place. It is a trusted name and used rifles and people are more inclined to purchase a used Encore over a used Optima. Personally I have a hard time selling any of my rifles...

If changing out the barrels is not an important factor. If a more custom finish is not all that necessary. If warranty is not important to you. If resale value of the rifle means nothing. Then I think the Optima would do you just fine. As for which one would shoot a variety of different projectiles better, well I'd have to have the companies each give me one and I would test that out for them. Until then, I shoot a Black Diamond XR or a Wolverine II. I also have a Staghorn made by CVA which is an exceptional shooter with the right projectile. As stated, many of the inline shooters would think there is no comparison between the two rifles, but then I have not shot the Encore or Optima... I am sure they would both do a good job.

For an Optima owner.. are the Optima's allowed to shoot 150 grains of loose powder and any size projectile? I ask this because my CVA Staghorn Magnum is allowed only 150 grains of pellets and then the projectiles are limited to 300 grain in sabots (I think) and 400 grain in conicals. In the loose powder department they suggest only 100 grains of loose powder in my Staghorn (again with the projectile restrictions). This would technically mean that 85 grain of Triple Se7en would be a max load in loose form although it is my understanding that CVA was called by a poster, and they have no problem with a 100 grain charge of the loose T-7. Actually this is not all that serious since I do not shoot 150 grain loads or pellets. I do shoot 120 grains of loose powder in my Black Diamond for one projectile though. Would that be allowed for a 300 grain Shockwave in the Omega with 120 grains of loose powder?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:45 PM
bigcountry

excellent eval cayugad. I give you one thing, you get to the point.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:57 AM

Actually, I read an article in an outdoor mgazine, and if you can wait there will be a new version of the Optima Pro that WILL have interchangeable barrels. YEAH. I think they will make barrels in .270 caliber and about three others. I bought one two years ago, and love it. It shoots better and loads better than a couple friends Encores and Omegas.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 PM

I have not shot, nor owned an Optima but I do have an .50 Encore. I love it and am very glad I bought it. I also have a couple of 12 gauge and centerfire barrels for it. Cayugad has an excellent post with many valid points. I will say that I have a load that my Encore will shoot sub-MOA groups with. I will also say that I owned a CVA Magbolt 150 that I was able to shoot 1-1/2 groups with. I acutally owned 2 Magbolt 150's. One that was blued and one that had the nickel finish. I would never, ever, ever, ever own another CVA with a blued finish. The gun that I owned was totally covered in surface rust one morning when there was a heavy mist. I called CVA and the gentleman told me to rub it down with WD40 and steel wool. The gun was only a month old! I didn't care much for that customer service. I did not have any finish problems with the nickel barrel. The customer service I have received from TC is excellent. So, back to cayugad's post, it all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM

I personally own an encore & I know at least 8 others that own encores. I will say this, I do not know anyone that has ben unhappy with there gun! They all shoot great. I will be in Elkcamp this year with mine. TC's service dept. might be the best in the world. My encore had a problem with the hammer cocking, I called them 2 years after i bought it and they said send it to them ups& they would take care of me. I hadit back in lessthan ten days atNO CHARGE! My dad has several barrels and so do I , they all shoot very well. I have only ben around a couple of cva's and it seem's like you can only shoot what the gun will let you. TC's barrels are more foregiveing. Let's not forget about being AMERICAN MADE!!!!
Old 07-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not concerned with barrel change and want to save some money, take a look at the Huntman/Sidekick rifles.Almost universally good to great shooters and I would choose one over an Optima any day of the week.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Spike

Thanks for the great advice. Last night I went to Gander Mtn. and looked again at the Encore and the Optima. I could see a difference in the quality of the guns. I think that even though I will have to give twice the price for the Encore, it should be my choice.

Quick Reply: Encore vs CVA Optima

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.