Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!! >

4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!

Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 PM

Default 4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!

Well today I went to the range here in Dekab county in Atlanta, Ga.

Weather: High was 84--perfect. Overcast and cloudy.
Bench rest with sandbags.

TC Omega .50 cal
Black Mag 3
Bullets were:
Precision bullets: 215 polymer tip, 300 grain hp, 330 grain hp
Hunterman boolets: 300 grain hp
No Excuse conicals 460 grain:

50 yards.

2" group at 50 with hunterman boolets and 90 grains of BM3. Could have done better but for some reason that was the best I could get. Will have to work on that. At 100 yards I had a larger group. Not good--in fact that group opened up to close 4". Stopped shooting the boolet. Will have to work on this round with a different charge.

With the No Excuse @ 50 yards with 90 grains and a wonder wad--Dead on at 50 yards. At 100 yards with 90 grains I was 3" low. I think this round would be dead center at 75 yards though.

Precision bullets @ 50 yards I had the 215, 300, and the 330 grain shooting groups that I could cover with a quarter. The 215 grain grouped so that a dime could touch the holes. Don't know what that equals out to but it was great.

The 300 and 330 grain hp grouped in the same area. All precision bullets were sighted in 3" high @ 50 yards. This was a wasted effort on my part because a hint of carelessness by my leaning my scoped omega on the bench and letting it fall to the ground at the 100 yard table resulted in my scope being off.

So back to the drawing board.

At 100 yards the precision bullets grouped tighter. I was getting 2" groups dead center of the bulls eye. I finally decided to really dial in the 300 grain precision hp bullet and will be going with that with 90 grains of BM3.

The NE 460 shot great with a wonder wad at 50, but this would be my back up round if I know I'll be hunting inside of 75 yards.

Paul

Sorry--no pictures as my wife had the digital camera.

Old 07-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!

Sounds like you had a great day at the range and also found some excellent loads to shoot. Everyone of them you named would more then take a deer down for you. That BM3 sure sound like good powder. I really need to order some soon. All this talk of it is about making me sick. They do not sell it or much of anything else in my neck of the woods other then some Triple Se7en FFg, Pyrodex RSand APP sticks.

I sight my 460 grain No Excuses 1" high at 50 yards and they are normally right near the bottom of the bull or slightly under it at 100 yards. At 75 yards they are dead center perfect. I shoot them with 80 grains of Triple Se7en, Goex 3f or Pyrodex P and get excellent accuracy from them. This summer I want to get up to the hay fields and shoot them out to 150 yards just to see how bad they really drop...

Good job at the range.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:32 AM

I finally decided to really dial in the 300 grain precision hp bullet
Should read--I finally decided to really dial in the 330 grain precision extreme 253 bullet in. This is a great bullet as far as accuracy goes. Will have to let you all know how it does on deer this December. To bad Cecil is such a jerk.

Thanks Cayugad. Looking forward to doing some deer this year. Hopefully they cooperate better for me than they did for you.
Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 11:13 AM

I'm also new to ML whats the name of the precision bullets? Or is that the name? I also have a omega and will be shooting BM3 once the temps get a lot cooler. Did you try the shockewaves? Last question what brand primers are you using?
Thanks for the help
Old 08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Dominant Buck

http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html NO EXCUSES CONICALS

http://www.prbullet.com/ PRECISION BULLET

Sabre03 Those links might help you out. Look for the QT or even the Silver Lightening worked real well for me. There are a lot of charts and facts that can help you pick out the right bullet for you there. I personally shoot a 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabot out of my Black Diamond XR and my Knight Wolverine II. I like them much more.

Since your shooting BM3 most any primer will do just fine. From all I have read, there is not the crud ring problem with that powder. If they have the new Remington ML410 (I believe they are call) primers made for muzzleloaders, you might want to give them a try.

Shockwaves from all I have read, normally shoot very well out of the Omega's. Get some of the 200 or 250 grain and give them a try.

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:41 PM

Sabre,

You may want to listen to Cayugad. As far as my experience goes--my Omega loves the heavier bullets. I have not tried the shockwaves. As a matter of fact my gun loves anything that is over 300 grains. As far as primers goes--I shoot the winchester primers and have never had a misfire. You'll have to experiment, but the bullets that Cayugad states are good starters.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 07:05 PM

You should try the precision bullet 350 grn offerings. They are longer and are actually more stable at longer distances. I use them out of my remington and they are very accurate. I sight in at 130 and shoot out to 150 with them. I use 777 fffg. Excellent bullets in my opinion.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used the 340 gr DC's with pretty good results.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/?action=view&current=Zero50Cal2.bmp
I've got some 300 nosler partions that I've got to get out and try.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM

You should try the precision bullet 350 grn offerings. They are longer and are actually more stable at longer distances.
I would but I don't want to have to deal with Cecil until I have to. If I can find another bullet store going out of business I'll buy all he has. I have some 275 grain precision that I did not even use. All in all the 330 grain extreme 253 hp's are the ones that get the nod this year.

I've got some 300 nosler partions that I've got to get out and try.
So do I. In fact I have 10 rounds of 250 grain and 10 rounds of 300 grain bullets that I won't test until my 200 rounds of precision bullets are all gone.

Paul
Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 PM

what are the 330 grain extreme 253 hp's? Where can I find info on them?

Quick Reply: 4 hours at the range today--got my deer load!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.