Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Getting A Deer In The Truck By Yourself >

Getting A Deer In The Truck By Yourself

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Getting A Deer In The Truck By Yourself

Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Getting A Deer In The Truck By Yourself

This one's a little off topic, but it could save your back.

Trying to lift a deer into the bed of a pick-up can be a real strain. Spend $30 for one of the little four wheel hoists from Cabala's and keep it in your truck. They've very compact (will fit in a quart size Ziplock bag). To load a deer, hook one end near the front of your truck bed and the other end to the deer and pull away.

I even used mine to get my Honda ATV out of a mud hole.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunti..._SEQ_104350680

Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just learned to deadlift....Seriously that only works for a time, I will soon be growing out of acting like the Hulk with heavy stuff. Smart people think with their heads and you have a fine idea there.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, I quit "Hulking out" many moons ago. I have one of those lifts that you hook up to your hitch receiver. Just roll the deer onto the lift gate and push a button. Lifts deer right into the bed. Lift gate acts as a tail gait. When I am hunting elsewhere and don't have my little lifter, I usually have a young fella or 2 around to do the lifting for me! It pays to be an old fart sometimes!
Old 05-04-2015, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

It pays to be an old fart sometimes!
Yeah, but not nearly often enough.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Good idea! I have a come-along that would work just as good. With my new back problems, this is something I will need to do this coming fall. In the past, I always used the come-along to hoist the deer from the vehicle up to my garage rafters.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is what friends are for, to call at 9 pm when they are about to go to bed for work the following day. Just to come out into the woods getting bit up by skeeters and tromping through the mud to help you drag and load a deer. Because it is still warm then stay up even later to hang the deer and skin and quarter it with you.

Calling a friend is just more fun, but may have to keep this pulley in mind when the day comes they don't want to show up.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Those are also sold as Block & Tackle hoist. I made my own with some alum channel and heavy duty plastic turned on the drill press into wheels/pulleys . I first made it to lift my generator so I could get it in the back of the truck for transport to deer camp. Then got to using it to hoist deer up on the buck pole and finally loading them in the bed for the trip home. I have found so many uses for it I don't know how I got along with out it so long.

Al
Old 05-05-2015, 04:35 AM
Banned

I generally just spend 5 or ten minutes quartering it. that way ,I have no need to buy extra chit I DON'T NEED.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those comealongs work very well.

i'm too old to horse a big deer or hog into a pickup. Couple years ago i made a deer hanger out of pipe scrap and a decent winch:

https://alsaqr.imgur.com/all/

Last edited by falcon; 04-18-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

That crane you built is 'slick'!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.