logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum

Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Spike

Default CVA Wolf: Palmsaver on ramrod?

Just purchased the CVA Wolf, my first blackpowder rifle, and have a question. When the palmsaver is screwed onto the ramrod and seated on the gun, the palmsaver extends past the end of the barrel a little bit. The manual says that the gun is designed to shoot with the palmsaver in place. But it seems like with this extending a little beyond the barrel, that is a potential hazard.

Is it really safe to shoot like that? I've seen several images online that show that the position of the palmsaver is correct and does indeed extend beyond the end of the barrel.

Thanks for any input!
ebranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Typical Buck

it is a potential hazard, in fact one of my members shot his off. Personally, i would remove it, theres no need for it. If you have to, use a thick piece of leather to put your palm over, thats much easier to deal with and no worries of blowing it off.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Typical Buck

Last edited by FrontierMuzzleloading; 12-15-2013 at 06:35 PM.
FrontierMuzzleloading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Typical Buck

The one that came on my Optima v2 actually sits almost flush with the barrel but I had to screw it all the way down which took some effort. I found that it very difficult to get the thing off and would not really serve its purpose if I couldn't get the thing off very quickly. It was a nice idea but I will just throw it in my pocket or pack that way it is ready to go when I need it. I don't personally shoot with anything hanging out in front of the barrel.
chaded is offline   Reply With Quote