Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Any one use 180gr Remington PSP core lokt's for elk? >

Any one use 180gr Remington PSP core lokt's for elk?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Any one use 180gr Remington PSP core lokt's for elk?

Old 04-01-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Any one use 180gr Remington PSP core lokt's for elk?

I have been wondering about the perfomance of this bullet. I've shot nosler partitions, nosler accubonds, Grand Slams, Game Kings, with a bunch of different loads, and none shoot as good as the $12.00/box factory Remington Core Lokt's 180 grain. I'm shooting a Remington 700. They're all decent groups, with the accubond being the closest in comparison. I talked with one member of the forum and he said he's taken plenty of mule deer and elk with this bullet. I shot a moose in Newfoundland last year with this bullet, but it was only 15 yards away, so I really can't count that. I know it works well on whitetails. but I'm not sure about elk. I was just wondering in this day and age of "premium" bullets if anyone still uses these, or has any past experience with them, good or bad. Thanks for any replies.
John
http://groups.msn.com/skunkaroo1
Old 04-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any one use 180gr Remington PSP core lokt's for elk?

I read an artical by Jim Zumbo a while back. The corlokt is one of his favorite bullets for elk. I quess it depends on what value you place on his opinion. He has killed a lot of Elk.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pacemaker, you already know how I feel about the corelokts. The deer and elk I have gotten with the 180's were in the boiler room, blowing out the heart/lungs, maybe any bullet in the boiler will drop it but it shoots better out of my 700 than the noslers, noslers are good but find out what flies out of your rifle that shoots accurate. There is a lot of hard core hunters on here that talk crap about the coreloks not breaking down, I am not sure about that but I know out of my 700 they fly straight and have brought every animal I shot at down. 50 yrds is the max I have to track any critter down using the coreloks. Good luck this season, Bobby
Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 PM

Core Lokts were killing elk many years before the majority of "premium" bullets were available. Perhaps they are not the "best" bullet for elk, but if they are the most accurate factory bullet/cartridge from your rifle, and you put the bullet in the lungs, I'd say you end up with a dead elk. I use fail-safes, primarily because they are the most accurate bullet in my elk rifle. Ain't America Great! We can hunt the same animals with different stuff and still bring meat home.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

So far that is.!!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Pace Maker-----I use the same rifle as you--Model 700. I've used 180 psp "Core-Lokts" for years. Never had a problem with them on any elk I've shot at or guys from my camp. We all shoot 06's & site in with the same ammo. 180 Core-lokts. We've recovered a couple of bullets---they were text book "mushrooms". IMO they were made for the 30/06. Correct me if I'm wrong but back when the 06 was the speed demon---it was having bullet problems---fragmenting, no penetration. The "Core-lot" was the answer to that. The velocity of the 30/06 has not change----but now---we have pushed the envelope again-----IMO you can't push "Core-lokts" @ 3000 fps. So now to handle the faster velocity of "Mags"----they are making bonded bullets.

FYI---I've also killed elk with "Core-lokt" round nose, Win PP round nose & the Hornady "Interlock" spire point------all bullets were 180 grain. I could not tell the difference----most shots were behind the shoulder, a few on the shoulder & a couple were quartering away. All shots were under 250 yards---most @ 150. We are talking about 30 elk taken-----15 by me personally & another 15 or so from guys in my camp.

Thinking of using Hornady Custom 180 grains this year. CB
Old 04-04-2005, 12:10 PM

You are indeed fortunate, your rifle prefers one of the best bullets on the market.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used Core-loks for years befor I went to noslers for elk,as stated befor the core-lok was made for the "06,I killed my first elk with 180 core-loks a big lead cow at about 70 yds,hit her right in the neck.

My dad still uses cor-loks and he has killed many,many elk with it,all were cows but hey he's never complained yet.

The only problem I have ever had with a core-lok was on a antelope yes,a antelope.The first antelope I ever killed,we crawled with in 80 yds of this antelope buck and I shot low and hit hm in the leg just below the chest,well he took off like a dart,running straight away.Well my dad told me to shoot again,well make a long story short the only shot I had was at the back of the head,well I shot and,well it was little low and you now that white pach on a goats butt,well it blew up and I mean when a core-lok hits bone at 100 yds on a antelope,well it came apart.
So I would try to avoid hitting bone if you could,I don't think they would hold up well.
BBJ
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what caliber you are shooting, but try Rem. Core-Lokt Ultra Bullets they might group like standard Core-Lokt bullets. If you are obtaining at least 1.5" three shot group, with the Nosler Partition or Accubonds use them. Good luck.