Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Flying with a gun.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Flying with a gun.

I am booked for an elk hunt this Sept. and am debating on dealing with the hassle of flying with my rifle and taking the chance of the airline losing it or possibly sending it UPS a few days in advance. Has anyone tried this process? I could send it to the outfitter and have it waiting on me when I get there. That sounds alot easier than flying with it. Has anyone experienced the airlines losing their rifle? That would be devastating on my hunt.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Flying with a gun.

You better check your regulations,I don't think you can just send a firearm without a FFL!I have not had a problem with my guns and the airlines,but I still try to arrive an extra day early just in case a gun is delayed.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

In Russia guns are not lost. There is a special law. Will punish the commander of the plane.
The gun surrenders on receipt and accepted back.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Typical Buck

Could I have my gun dealer send it for me using his FFL? Or does the recieving person need an FFL also? I am due in about noon the day before the hunt. Is this enough time to recieve the gun if the airline misplaced it? Like Sasha states, shouldn't it be illegal to misplace a firearm these days. There should be a reciept upon relinquishing it to the airline and a reciept upon recieving it.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

This should be fine,also Try to book direct flights when possible,the less changing of planes the better.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

If your not leaving the country it should not be a hassle. Take your firearm to the check in, in a hard lockable case.
They will have you open it to check that it is not loaded and then they will tag it as unloaded. Lock it up and give it to them and your all set.
I put my name, address and phone on my case in case it is lost.
I use an aluminum double rifle case so that it does not draw any unwanted attention and it can't be crushed.
I did lose my rifle or so I thought at the Missoula airport for an hour. I checked it in at Denver and when I arrived at the Missoula baggage claim, I watched all the luggage go round and round for an hour. My rifle never came out. I got ahold of security and there it sat on the cart on the runway outside of the plane.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have flown with mine and sent them ups also. When shipping, the receiving address has to have an fdl to receive firearms. If you send them ups, then you can bring back two more coolers full of meat on the plane. Bobby
Old 03-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sasha_from_RF

In Russia guns are not lost. There is a special law. Will punish the commander of the plane.
The gun surrenders on receipt and accepted back.
sounds like a good idea Sasha