Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Over the counter tags

Old 02-27-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Over the counter tags

I am trying to put together a do it yourself hunt for this fall and I need some help. Since I will be out of state, I will have to get over the counter tags. I was wondering on which states sell muley or elk tags over the counter. I am looking to hunt either the muzzleloading season or rilfe. I would really appreciate someone giving me any input on where to go etc. I know this is a really big question but any info will help me out alot. THanks
Old 02-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Over the counter tags

Portions of ID -- CO-- WA all have OTC tags. Other states may as well but not sure! Contact Fish & Game offices over the internet and see where and what areas. Then you can start planning your hunt accordingly.-------------------------ElkNut1
Old 02-27-2005, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

If you were looking to come to Colorado???You could get an over the counter Elk tag but the deer tag will have to be by draw. If you planned on coming back in the future ???? I would apply for an Elk and deer tag through the draw system and if you are unsuccessful you will receive a preference point for future draws. Also since MOST of the OTC tags for Elk are not considered trophy units you can buy one with your refunded $$$ and still get a pref. point and hunt.
Either way I think you should apply for the draw and go from there. Again deer tags except for some doe tags in certain area's are through the draw.
When I say trophy area's ......that doe's not mean that a lot of these area's are not quality units. But with pref. points for the future.....You would have a better opportunity to draw a high quality area in the future.

Also....... All muzzleloader tags are by draw or as a leftover (after the draw) license.
Bill
Old 02-28-2005, 02:01 AM

Oregon has over the counter elk tags. Mule deer are draw only. Oregon & California also offer Blacktail deer over the counter tags.