HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Big Game Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting-6/)
-   -   What premium bullet for elk? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/big-game-hunting/89422-what-premium-bullet-elk.html)

Hunter_59 02-06-2005 07:54 AM

What premium bullet for elk?

I have been shooting and sighting-in my new 7 mm remington magnum for elk hunting this fall. I have decided to practice with Remington core-lokt 150 gr. bullets since they are fairly cheap to shoot which allows me to shoot alot. I do not reload but will be looking at a premium bullet for the upcoming season. What premium shell would you recommend for elk. There is a lot of difference in price from different manufacturers and loads. I realize that I need to see if my gun shoots this bullet well but I would like to know where to start. Be specific in over-the-counter shells, i.e.; bullet type, weight, manufacturer. Where is the best place to buy them. Thanks!

Pygmy 02-06-2005 08:18 AM

RE: What premium bullet for elk?

I AM a reloader, so I'm not an authority on factory loads, however, in a 7MM mag, any load featuring a Nosler partition, Swift A frame, Woodleigh, TBBC or Barnes X bullet will work fine for elk.. It's more an isssue of which load shoots best in your rifle..

For that matter, the Remingtom Corelokt is an excellent game bullet in it's own right..That bullet in 175 grain would be a good choice if it groups well for you...

Hunter_59 02-06-2005 08:26 AM

Thanks Pygmy, but I don't think Remington produces a 175 gr. bullet in there over-the-counter loads. 160 gr. is as heavy as I can find.

gorse 02-06-2005 08:34 AM

-

Sharp Shooter 02-06-2005 08:50 AM

My dad has always had good luck with the Federal Premium 175 grain Trophy bonded Bear claw. I think he even droped an elk dead in his tracks once with this bullet.

stubblejumper 02-06-2005 08:58 AM

You don't need a 175gr premium bullet or even 160gr for that matter.I have killed several elk and moose with the 140gr partition and the performance was excellent.

skeeter 7MM 02-06-2005 11:20 AM

I have used 140 gr failsafe, 160 gr Nosler partition and 160 gr Nosler Accubond to harvest Elk in 7mm rem mag, all worked fine. Try the Federal Premium Nosler Partition or Accubond. If you prefer Winchester ammo you can try the Nosler Partition Gold or the CT Accubond in their supreme line. As far as grain the 140 or 160gr of the Partitons will work but I would stick with the 160gr if you want to use the Accubond's.

Good Luck

bigbulls 02-06-2005 12:32 PM

I completely agree with the last two posts. A 160 and 175 grain bullet is not needed elk hunting. They are not nearly as tough as people like to make them out to be.

However, there is a very good selection of premium bullets in 160 grain.

Here are the bullets that I would choose to hunt elk with the 7mm Rem mag.

Any of Federals 160 grain loadings would make excelent elk medicine. They load the BArnes TSX, Partition, Accubond, and TBBC. Also the 140 grain partition.

Hornady loads a 154 grain interbond that would be another excelent choice.

Winchester loads the 140 & 160 grain failsafe, 140 & 160 grain accubond, And 160 grain partition gold.

Remington loads the 150 grain Swift Scirocco, 160 grain core lokt ultra, 160 grain A-frame, and the 140 grain core lokt ultra.

James B 02-06-2005 01:02 PM

I hardly ever use factory ammo but when I do I look for the Federal Premiums with Nosler Partitions. The 140 and heavier should do a fine job.

Sniper151 02-06-2005 04:32 PM

Hunter, I load my own bullets, but if I did not, I would use the bullet you are shooting now. The Remington Core Lokt is extremely efficient and will do the job on your elk hunt.