Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Square Skinning Bear

Old 01-31-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Square Skinning Bear

How do I square skin a bear hide?? Specifics needed....
Old 01-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Square Skinning Bear

If your talking about for rugging him I would look for a diagram to show you the exact places but I can tell you the best that I can. I draw a line from the heel of the rear foot and follow the back of the leg up to the rectum. There should be somewhat of a ridge to follow. I will then go from the rectum straight up the belly up to underneath the back of the jaw. I will then cut from the palm of the front paw up the back of the front leg to the chest. Be sure that you curve the cut slightly towards the front of the bear when you are cutting towards the chest or you can end up with too much skin in front of the shoulder. The extra skin that ends up under the arm can be sewn to the back of the front leg when rugging the bear to give you a fuller appearance. If you are intending to make a rug don't worry about cutting the pads. They will be cut off anyway when deboning the foot.