Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Moose hybrid, Melk

Old 01-20-2005, 11:32 PM

Default RE: Elk Moose hybrid, Melk

ORIGINAL: hillbillyhunter1

Jonesy--that one was either really good or really bad--I can't make up my mind--grin
hb

I can help you with that one - its really bad. Figured that out after sleeping on it.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:32 PM

Aw I think it was just the Merry Kristmoose, somebody saw and misidentified. [:-]
Old 01-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Typical Buck

This is very hard to beleave. But the world was created ALL OF IT ,every thing mmmmmmmmmmmmm where did the scientist then?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:15 PM

I think that its completely plausible that an elk and moose can go at it. just because elk and moose "dont get along" doesn't mean it could't happen. also, i found two dictionary refrences to hybrid animals:

Beefalo- A hybrid that results from a cross between the American buffalo, or bison, and beef cattle and is typically 3/8 buffalo and 5/8 bovine. Beefalo yields leaner beef than conventional breeds of cattle. Also called cattalo.

Liger- The product of crossbreeding between a male lion and a female tiger, having features of both but generally being larger than either.

Now weather scientists helped 'em along or they did it themselves i dont know.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got Melk???????
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 PM

I had a black rooster and a white duck that were best of buddies, and yes they would do the TANGO, what would you call them---CHUCKINS!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 AM

undefined
Don't know how it happens, but... they do raise an cross between turkeys and chickens, thay call them turkins.

No this aint BS, they were very popular around the poultry belt in WV, the Moorefield to Franklin area.
I have seen them, ugly ba$tards!

You can go to google and search for turkins and see pictures of them.

From what I know the gobbler breeds the chicken.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seen a domestic gobbler try to breed a dog once so that doesn't surprise me. Robinhood36, Did you have any shovelhead retreivers running around at the farm?
Old 02-05-2005, 11:02 AM

undefined
I remember seeing news footage of a bull moose in Maine breeding a milk cow, he stayed around several days and would try to attack anyone that went close.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know if a moose and a elk would successfully breed. But I do know in the right conditions nature will throw genes back into the mix that have been recessive for a long time. Cross breeding is very possible but most of the successful ones are done in a lab.

Is a melk possible? Irish elk existed less than a 1000 years ago before being exstinct. An irish elk is a monster of an animal. More leaning towards the stag in looks but truly massive. I've seen one rack of an Irish elk in the denver museum of natural history that had a spread of over 11 feet. Looked partly moose and partly elk. Can genes from a long time ago come back. Under the perfect gene combinations and conditions sure they can. Highly impossible though.

When elk have large massive racks alot of bulls tend to have crowns. This comes from their first cousins the red stags. Genetics are not pure and species can be very close in the gene pool to accept dna from another species. Example mule deer and whitetail is probally the most common two species that will actually breed and have fawns that survive the gene combination.

never say never

Quick Reply: Elk Moose hybrid, Melk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.