Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I just got off the phone with George Taulman of USO. >

I just got off the phone with George Taulman of USO.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I just got off the phone with George Taulman of USO.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I just got off the phone with George Taulman of USO.

I'd have to agree with Wolfkiller in that there are places you can hunt elk such as CO and Idaho and the odds are good in some other states as well. I'm heading to Montana for the 2nd year in a row for Mulies as I was lucky enough to draw again. Meanwhile, I'm accumulating points for elk in Utah and next year I may head to CO for an elk hunt. The Utah hunt may take me 10 years to draw but by then I'll have gone on some other hunts and some great experiences as well. Some like to hunt out west every year and others either can't afford to or don't have time for it. I'm thankful that I've been given the opportunity to hunt Montana and Colorado thus far as it could be the other way around where only residents could hunt as is the case in North Dakota for turkeys and for pronghorn (Rifle). I try to appreciate the opportunities that I do have.

As for George T from USO, I don't necessarily agree with what he says or does but the fact is...He is running a business and is in it for the profit as any businessman would be. I'm not siding with him by any means but it's the capitalistic society that we live in. Someone is always trying to make a buck over anything they can. It's just too bad that hunting is moving in that direction...
Old 08-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

ORIGINAL: rather_be_huntin

I am not a rich man. That means I cannot afford to go to Colorado, Wyoming or any other state to hunt. Sure I might be able to buy the tag but I cannot afford to scout the land on multiple long distance trips or hire an outfitter every year.
Doesn't every non-resident face this exact problem? I think they do and for this reason you won't see the flood of people coming from out of state. The ones that applied before will be the ones who apply now. I have all the faith in the world that your state will be able to keep the 90/10 ratio you all want.

Trust me there are enough people out there with enough money to create a flood if they want to. You have to build a system that works in all situations. You can't not build a dike and just pray it doesn't flood.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:27 PM

So say if there are 100 draws available. A thousand residents apply, and 100 non-residents apply. Residents get 50, and non-residents get 50? How is that not discrimating against the resident hunter?
I'm glad I live in Alberta, still pretty much open everywhere for archery
Old 08-02-2004, 01:30 PM

The REAL problem with this is how it is going to affect the local population of hunters. The guys who hunt the weekends during the fall, have their honey-holes and consistently take game. Its the guys who live year-round in little towns in New Mexico, Arizona, Montana, and Colorado.

As for costs, how does allocating more licenses for resdients affect the cost of the hunt? If you cannot afford several scouting trips, hire a guide, or search the net, whatever....there are ways to research. How on earth allocating more tags to residents affects your scouting trips' costs escapes me.

As for the Texas guy, admit it, Texas is all about the money. The regular joes who cannot afford a lease come to Colorado, New Mexico, and Nevada in droves. In fact, October on 1-25 looks like a Texas caravan. If the hunting is so great, why the exodus? Also, Texas has some of the most liberal game laws in existence. Shooting a deer over an automatic corn feeder and calling that hunting makes me want to hurl. How on earth is that hunting? I think I will search elsewhere for the Mecca of hunting, because it is most certianly not in Texas.

Purchasing a tag allows you take an animal, it has nothing to do with hunting the ground. I believe most state's constitution specifically states that "the state owns the animals". If so, that makes them real property, and the state should be able to disseminate the game as it sees fit.

Personally, I think that the people who live in a state year round should get some benefit over those who just come out to hunt. Is it baised, hell yes, is it wrong? In my opinion, No, it is justifiable. This is big-time. If this passes, hunting the west will truly move into the realm of the "rich-man's game". Sadly, the right to hunt was once coveted by the aristocracy in Europe, and our founding father's wanted to ensure that everyone could hunt. If this passes, those who can will outspend those who cannot, the effects will be devastating.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:05 PM

Not sure about everyone else but it seems to me that the outfitter is just out to open it up so they can get more business, Advertise they can get more tag's for there clients and pump up there income.
Being from monatna i dont mind passing up a tag once in a while to allow others to come hunt, but if you allow them any ground to change the law where will it stop? It will end up just like everything else that we have had that was good, and end up being totaly messed up by the govt and powers that be. Just like punishing your kids, or the smoking issue, we are becoming a minority right in our own back yards.
If they start they will never stop, and before long the people that live there wont be able to get a tag. Look at everything else the govt has messed up over the years.
I'd say take a look at the numbers and let each state decide, but not take them to court and force a law or try to change it totaly.
I am lucky, this year i can get 2 elk tag's and 2 deer tag's, (missed moose this year ) and i'm all for others getting the chance to come up here and hunt, its butiful country, and great hunting (although cold in the winter if you are not use to it) But it all reads to me like the outfitters are just trying to make there wallet fat off of the rights of the people that live there, and its not just montana, its any state, once they start every state will start following behind, and what you consider to be your rights as a hunter will no longer be, you will not have the chances to get the tags you do now.
Poloticians and govt has messed up enough already, to push it to law would be to much.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:26 PM

Not to change the topic, but somebody said something that I have to reply to.

AlaskaMagnum:

Shooting a deer over an automatic corn feeder and calling that hunting makes me want to hurl. How on earth is that hunting?
Up north dont they allow ya'll to use donuts, food scrapes, candy, and what ever else you want to for bears?? Sorry but using table scrapes is alot more "unethical" then using a natural food source like corn. Shooting a bear that has his head stuck in a 50 gallon drum of candy makes me want to hurl. How on earth is that hunting??

Also, Texas has some of the most liberal game laws in existence.
Yes but these "liberal game laws" are one of the reasons why hunting down here is great. We dont have to jump through hoops every year just to hunt, we dont have to carry around a 1,000 page hunting regulation booklet, and we dont have to worry about getting the chance to hunt each year. We dont have the fish and game breathing down are necks and watching us like hawks like in other states.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:19 PM

Yep,

You can bait up here for black bears only. Of course, you need to be one mile from any dwelling and at least 1/4 from any trail. In other words, you can't drive you pick-up truck upto a corn feeder and fill er up. You actually have to pack in your bait with your own two feet. Can't even take a four wheeler as it must be 1/4 mile from a trail. Quite a little difference don't you think?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TXhighrack

Also, Texas has some of the most liberal game laws in existence.
Yes but these "liberal game laws" are one of the reasons why hunting down here is great......and we dont have to worry about getting the chance to hunt each year.
Now you know you understand why we are pushing back so hard on these USO court proceedings.

You live where you live and I live where I live. I'm not trying to ruin anybody elses hunting experience in anybody elses state so I wish everybody would just do the same. It won't be long before it's in Utah and I'll get a chance to hunt once every 15 years in a trophy unit. It's tough enough with how many people are moving out west here into Utah. Odds already suck.