Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness >

Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness

Old 05-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on an outfitter for the Bob Marshall Wilderness area for 2005. I have contacted 'Salmon Forks Outfitters' and 'Montana Eco Outfitters' and both seem pretty promising. We don't mind roughing it, we are just looking to be placed in an area with good Elk activity. We would like to hunt the first time with rifles, early in the season, and then maybe come back for bow in the future. Any references or recommendations are appreciated. thanks

Aaron
Old 05-25-2004, 11:12 AM

Default RE: Montana Outfitters - Bob Marshall Wilderness

I will be on the last hunt of the season (end Nov) this coming fall hunting the bob. Will be hunting with "Skyline Wilderness Outfitters", going in from the north, near Hungry Horse. I was with them several years ago with my Dad before he passed and unfortunately had rough weather (rain and more rain) got some nice mulies and Dad did get his bull.

Cameron Lee runs the outfit (his Dad Eugene did for many years before Cam took over) and they have been back in there for something like 30 years. Fanatastic people, great area and well equipped outfit. I would highly recommend them.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another fellow over in the "BOB" is Lee Carlbom of Sun Canyon outfitters,this can be a great elk hunt if you have the weather to push them out of the back country.
I have known Lee for years and he and his son run a good business.
He has several good area's to hunt,also talk to Montana Hunter 16,he is a part time guide of a fellow out of Benchmark.He will probaly know some more.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

Whitetails & Muskies,

I did a search on Skyline but couldn't find them. Do they have a website or email address??
Old 05-26-2004, 11:25 AM

ironranger - their web address is:

www.wildmontana.com

Again, a great bunch of people that basically "live" at the gateway to The Bob and have for years.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx Whitetails & Muskies!!
Old 05-27-2004, 12:38 PM

Aaron,

What everyone has said so far is true, and early season would be a great start as opposed to chancing it on a late season hunt. Sun Canyon Lodge is good and Lee seems to be a great guy, but the area he hunts gets pretty hard. The guy I work for, Rocky Heckmen of Montana Safaris, has one of the best operations I have seen. That's the reason I'm coming back to work for him: he's a really nice guy and a wonderful outdoorsmen. His early season starts September 14 going in, and he base camps out of a certain creek I won't disclose near the Middle Fork of the Flathead, way up at the north end of the Bob. They did real well this year in both elk and deer, and he himself got a 350 lb black bear, ironically the same one that was relocated after breaking into David Letterman's house. His late season is near the Dearborn River, and they always get something there. Check his site out, or give him a call. His number is 406-466-2004 and website is montanasafaris.com

I can almost guarantee you won't see any public hunters in the areas he hunts. However, it is quite a ride in to his camps so be prepared for the horseback ride in. Another thing, the food is amazing. He always has great cooks, and you wouldn't believe the dishes we get while in the backcountry. mmmm, i'm hungry thinking about it.

g'luck,

Dan
Old 05-28-2004, 12:00 PM

thanks for the info. everybody, I will check into these outfitters also.