Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Field Judging Moose?

Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Field Judging Moose?

Hey Gang ~
Need some insight and pointers on Field Judging a Bull Moose. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:56 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Field Judging Moose?

Coloradobulls:
I see no one has replied to your post. I am not an expert on moose but have an upcoming Moose hunt and have spent many hours researching moose. I went to Ebay and got a few moose videos. You don't say what species you are interested in. Stalking Trophy Moose by Majestic Productions goes into field judging Moose and there are a few others that will help you out.
I also got a catalog from Cabela's on their big game hunts. It shows the different Moose species and there width which is a big help and it's free.
Hope this helps
Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 PM

Hey MT Bob ~
Appreciate the helpful guide and video information. Canadian moose in the Northern part of BC. I also heard you can figure on 8-10" between the Antler Bases and a Moose with Palms back to the hump is a big bull as well. Three plus brow tines and long tines as well will obviousely add to the score of a bull. Again, let's stay in touch, maybe we can help each other.
In Hunting ~
ColoradoBulls
Old 05-06-2004, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It may be helpful to go to B&C's website and review the moose scoresheet it shows what measurements are taken into account for scoring moose. Basically the greatest spread, length & width of each palm and beam circumference's are used to make up the total score. The length and number of tines are not used to determine the score but do look nice on the wall! Most hunters look at spread first off and for canadian moose you want close to 50" min to be close to book(In northen BC 50-60" are what your after and available). Then look at the palm width(broadness) as moose can be extremely wide but yet have skinny or thin palms width wise. The length is pretty hard to judge at a distance but the hump method you mentioned is a way to stack up the length. The 3 brow tine thing is more to do with determining maturity than what he'll actually score but obviously you need maturity to get the score, so very good tip to keep in mind. Also try and get a picture or view of him face on or at the least directly from behind, side views can be very difficult for field judging. This will allow you to assess the width realitive to the body, and the characteristics of the palms as well. I would ask your outfitter and guide about tidbits for field judging as they know best what to look for in a moose for their area. Also like mentioned reading, videos or other reasearch never hurts.

Good luck and I know you'll enjoy!!!!
Old 05-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

Coloradobulls:
Where abouts in Northern BC. I am heading up to the Omineca Mtns in BC for a Moose/Caribou Combo the end of Sept. I was looking for some info here and happened upon a really nice guy who turned out to be one of the main guides for the outfitter who I'll be hunting with. I have a bunch of video's I can copy if your interested. The area where I am hunting only allows for a 50" or better with a substantal fee for anything less so I got quite a few video's of moose to make sure I know what I am shooting at.
Let me know the area and time your hunt is as maybe we can meet up for a cold one.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:24 AM

MT Bob ~
We're heading up September 9-25. Mountain Goat for 5 days, then 9 days for Moose. We fly into Smithers, BC then fly North 250 to some region that has not been hunted in 8-9 years. What videos and how do we hook up on them. Where you at in MT? I used to teach in Busby and worked out in the Hardin area a few years back.
In Hunting ~ ColoradoBulls
Old 05-07-2004, 06:38 PM

ColoradoBulls, send me your email address and I'll send you some pictures of some bulls from the area you are going into and some pointers on what to look for. I have a few pics at "http://community.webshots.com/user/swudrich" but I can send you some better ones. Who are you going with? You should be into some awesome goat country in that area as well.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 AM

Woodster ~
My e-mail is [email protected]
We are going after Goats for the first 5 days, then 9 days for Moose. The Outfitter has sent some huge pics of Bulls from this area as well as a Billy he scored at 52" last year that had a broken horn......Should be great. Appreciate any info you can send my way.
In Hunting ~
Pat
Old 05-19-2004, 04:54 PM

Been reading this post/thread and it seems like there are several of us going North this fall for Moose. I appreciate the field judging info that has been posted and hopefully will get a chance to practice on the real thing. I am hunting with Dave Wiens out of Toad River the first 10 days of October. Here's wishing everyone heading North "Good Luck"!