Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Colorado Hunting Info

Old 03-02-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Colorado Hunting Info

I want to do a hunt on my own to Colorado. Just out of college and got married have very little cash.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on which zones and areas with public land and where to access it.

I would be willing to trade or swap secrets. I am flyfishing guide in central PA and I have access to great fishing and hunting. Plus, some nice lodges you can stay at.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:58 AM

Default RE: Colorado Hunting Info

keystone,

I almost hate to start on this one but you seem sincere but there is a lot missing.

First WHAT is it you want to hunt out in Colorado? It makes a difference.

Second, just married & don't have much money....
Even Colorado on a do it yourself trip from Pennsylvania won't be cheap ($1000+ Min.)

Two alternatives:

1. Go for moose or caribou in Ontario or Quebec, closer to home. The Nouchimi Caribou hunt is done pretty economically by folks in the northeast -- and while not the same scenery as Colorado, I understand that you will definitely feel like you are WAY out there.

2. By consensus with your bride agree to start banking X amount each month for a trip to Colorado in the fall of 2005. You may want to make it a trip for the two of you if she is "into it". My wife of 26 years is my "adventure mate" and we have been into all sorts of wild stuff..... it is a good thing.

Be careful trying to cram a high dollar big game hunt (just for you) into a new marriage when funds might be in short supply anyway.

Good Luck,
EKM
Old 03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Colorado Hunting Info

If you have your heart set on a Colorado hunt, I would suggest that you consider a cow elk hunt. Only $250 for the tag (vs. $490 for bull). They eat great, your chance of success is higher, and you can use it as a scouting trip for future bull hunts. Cow elk are available through the draw (deadline April 6) but there should be left over cow tags after the drawing. If you want to put in for a preference point and put a cow down as a second choice in an area that has extra tags, you will still get a tag and a preference point to use later.

If you are frugal, drive, camp (no hotels), don't eat out, and share gas expenses with another hunter, you should be able to hunt a cow for $5-600 total.