Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk: neck shot?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Was this 12 year old thread brought up by a first time poster like it sounds from reading the CI post and it's now been deleted because a few others "in the know" have told him where to take his head and neck shots on big game?
Yep, that's about it. He came on saying the neck shot was the only shot worth taking because it works so well on the whitetails in "Bama and he was headed to MT to hunt elk. Said if you shoot at the neck it is either an instant kill or a clean miss. You can look at my post to see how I responded to that foolish statement.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think this very subject has come not too long ago and nobody really likes taking a neck shot and should be used only as a last resort if at all, but if you need to take one it all depends on your set up and distance, weapon being used how the animal is presenting the shot and so on. everybody has to use common sense and good judgement when shooting at any part of the animal not just the neck ! i think everybody here would agree that we all have done things that even ourselves wonder why we did? when the adrenaline starts pumping sometimes you have a hard time thinking straight especially when your young and don't have a lot of kill shots under your belt and over time you can keep kool and make better decisions out in the field.hopefully the younger guy's have someone to teach and guide you in the field instead f going out there and learning the hard way that you made a bad decision !