Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions >

Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions

Old 02-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Default Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions

Hello.......I'm sure this question has been asked numerous times. I was wondering if I could get some replies on what was thought to be the best place and or outfitter to for go elk and mule deer. I'm planning a once in a lifetime hunt with a few friends and figured I could get some good idea's form the members. The main goal of the hunt is to get and elk, so if it's an area where there aren't many, or any, mule deer please don't hesitate to respond. I've searched the net and can't be certain of a good guide service. There is a million of them. I'd hate to put all the money out and have a terrible trip, like I've heard happen before. I wasn't sure if a guide was needed or not. I have some friends that have gone to Northern Idaho and done fine on their own. I'd really like to go on a guided horseback hunt, but like I said, I have no idea who to go with. I was looking for some recommendations.
Thanks for your time.....John
Old 02-15-2004, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions

To give any advice we need to know your budget.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:11 PM

Well that makes sense stubblejumper........I left probably the most important part out. I was thinking between 3-4,000 per person. Thanks
Old 02-15-2004, 07:45 PM
jjt

check on the outfitters page here at hunting net

i have not hunted with them but the guys in montana are offering what your looking for and at the price your looking to spend
you can also get a tag if you go thru an outfitter there for $900+ for both animals and my understanding is it is a guaranteed license instead of all this draw BS

i called and talked to them you can get the name and ask if anyone has hunted with them or ask for references when you talk to the outfitter
Old 02-16-2004, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jjt, don't be sending folks up here to Montana on a wild goose hunt, all the wolves chased the game down to Wyoming, there is hardly any game too be found here anymore. Bobby
Old 02-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, and remember, those elk stopped in Wyoming, none of em made it to Colorado where we don't have any elk
Old 02-17-2004, 09:49 AM
jjt

if they stopped in wyoming they are in trouble with the extra snow and wolves on the feed grounds they are doomed to a slow miserable death
Old 02-17-2004, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Pace Maker-
If you are going guided your "total end result" will be closer to 5K not 4K...sad but true.
Here is something worth pondering >(this is my opinion)
it seems that less expensive guides are less expensive for one of the following reasons:
They are either new at the business but not the trade and have not yet built it up
Their area is not as "hot"
They are not that good

So in my opinion again... if you can find a guy who knows the business BUT has not built his clientele this would be worth a try but this is also hard to find!
Bottom line with ANYBODY >>check everyone of his references, you are spending good money. I always feel better letting good money follow cheap phone calls!
Old 02-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to try a booking agent like www.hunts.net which I have used a number of times and find them very reputable another would be atcheson and sons... Both are reputable and have been around a long time...I am sure there are other reputable agents out there but i just haven't used them
Old 02-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Thanks OUTDOOR for the reply, I appreciate the info. I'll look into it.

Quick Reply: Elk and Mule Deer Hunt questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.