Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Wanting to do a caribou hunt >

Wanting to do a caribou hunt

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wanting to do a caribou hunt

Old 09-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Spike

Default Wanting to do a caribou hunt

Anybody have some advice for a caribou hunt? I'm hoping to do something in 2-3 years. I've priced different outfitters and I understand you get what you pay for. But not wanting to spend 8-12k. Thank you
Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

Many many outfitters and guides in both Canada and Alaska can get you on Caribou for much less than 8-12k. Travel costs are what gets you. Bush pilots aren't cheap. At least not the ones I would want to fly with anyway. I usually get away with spending around around 4-5k in total but I go drop in. I don't use a guide. Just the knowledge of the pilots and guides around letting me know the best place to run across the migration at that time of year. A guide or outfitter may put you over that cost some but not a whole lot. Just make sure you do your due diligence and get referrals for every outfitter/guide you are considering. And contact them. Don't just take the word of the outfitter/guide.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Many many outfitters and guides in both Canada and Alaska can get you on Caribou for much less than 8-12k. Travel costs are what gets you. Bush pilots aren't cheap. At least not the ones I would want to fly with anyway. I usually get away with spending around around 4-5k in total but I go drop in. I don't use a guide. Just the knowledge of the pilots and guides around letting me know the best place to run across the migration at that time of year. A guide or outfitter may put you over that cost some but not a whole lot. Just make sure you do your due diligence and get referrals for every outfitter/guide you are considering. And contact them. Don't just take the word of the outfitter/guide.
Thanks for the info!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Do you have a list of outfitters who charge less than $8,000? I know of no quality outfitters in Canada who charge less than that. Alaska, perhaps, but like you say then you have all the added expenses with the bush pilots, etc.... Everyone in Alaska has their hand out wanting money for anything and everything. You can get all inclusive hunts in Canada with no surprises....An Alaskan hunt could easily end up costing more than a guided hunt in Canada when it's all said and done.

The only place you can hunt caribou without an outfitter is Alaska.

Cost varies according to subspecies as well..Mountain Caribou can be pricey, but generally speaking they don't migrate so a person should have an opportunity at one.

CBGC (Nunavut and Northern Manitoba) are a little less. Migration into Manitoba has been hit or miss lately, but you can kill two bulls in either place.

Newfoundland for Woodland Caribou is an option, but it's not easy to get to and it's not cheap either.

Quebec is out unless they change their laws....