Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I finally bought one Pictures added >

I finally bought one Pictures added

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I finally bought one Pictures added

Old 03-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I finally bought one Pictures added

I finally bought an ATV, a used 2008 model Kawasaki 4x4. Last year I had to drag my deer up out of a ravine where for some reason it decided it was going to die after I shot it. It swapped ends, ran down to the bottom a steep ravine that is close to my stand and died in the creek. Had I been alone, I may not have gotten the thing out of the ravine. I got it half way up and had to call my grandson out of out stand to help me. It is the second year in a row my deer decided it had to die at the bottom of a ravine. I decided I am done dragging deer. I bought an ATV, had a winch installed and the next deer that dies in the ravine will be removed with the winch instead of me power. I never thought it would come to this, I can't even count all the deer I have drug out of nasty places, no more, time has a way of changing minds. Tomorrow I will go look at the trailer I think I will buy to haul the thing. I may even use it to plant birds on my club's regulated hunting grounds, those hills are getting steeper as well. You can't imagine, how I hate to modernize.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 04-01-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just another tool in the toolbox. I use my side by side for many things such as skidding out logs, spraying food plots, packing down plots, and of course retrieving deer. Good luck with it!
Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Dominant Buck

You will be glad you have it. I never use mine for hunting but this year with a fresh scar on my chest from bypass surgery and an order to not lift anything more than 10 pounds, I bagged my buck and called my wife to bring the wheeler up to the swamp and pull my deer out. My wife uses mine way more than I do with yard chores and her gardens. My use is mostly for ice fishing.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

I am resisting the temptation with great difficulty of posting an appropriate cartoon for this topic. Just saying.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

OT my advice on a trailer is to get an aluminum or galvanized one with planks for the floor. I got a heavy duty steel one with a pressure treated plank floor and since I use it all winter to move my wheeler from one fishing spot to the next it gets a lot of rust from the road salt. Mine is 10 years old and I have to wire brush and paint it every summer. If you get a lite duty one like at Home Cheapo or Lowes it will have a wire mesh floor. That will work but cover the floor with heavy plywood or you will rust right through. Most of the time you can get a plank floor for a couple hundred more. Way better deal going that way right from the get go.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

OT's quad at night when he's sleeping.

http://www.charlesweissart.com/galle...ges/header.jpg

OT out riding his back 40....

http://media.cagle.com/20/2012/09/06/118221_600.jpg

Last edited by CalHunter; 03-27-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will soon find there are a ton of uses for an atv, from about the house to hunting
to plowing snow,, adding a plow to that atv will make moving snow almost fun !
I would eb lost these days without mine

I like being in middle of no where and NOT hearing motors

but I count my lucky stars every time I get a deer down and can legally use my atv to get it out, MAN its a pleasure to hunt alone with one on the recover side of thing
plus its a huge help in placing stands too, or posted signs or??
lots of use's
Old 03-28-2017, 03:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

You didn't resist long Cal.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

CI I already looked at the trailers at Lowe's, it took me all of 30 seconds to reject them. Made of angle iron, it you pushed down on one corner the whole thing flexed. I give those welds a year max. I am going today to a trailer manufacturer who makes them from tube steel with wooden floor.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

I know. I saw the one on the clouds and just couldn't walk away from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.