Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
I finally bought one Pictures added >

I finally bought one Pictures added

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

I finally bought one Pictures added

Old 04-02-2017, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ridgerunner, it is a manually operated winch, toggle switch on the handlebars.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Ridgerunner, it is a manually operated winch, toggle switch on the handlebars.
OK, mine also has a toggle switch, but it also has a wireless remote. the brainbox is behind the kick panel under the drivers seat and always has a light on if you look below the battery, the dealer denied there was a drain on the battery and just charged the battery up when I took it back until the warranty ran out, blamed everything else for the problem.
RR
Old 04-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know if I leave my car or truck sit too long without running the battery will go dead because of the electronic clocks and the theft alarms etc. and who knows what else. I would have never though about a remote unit draining the battery but it makes sense, it has to be using electricity because it is ready to work.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
If the winch you had installed is a warn remote controlled model, it will drain the battery while sitting, mine goes dead in a week if I do not run it.
RR
if your winch is draining the battery that fast, I think you have something else going on
ONE way you can TRY and help prevent this, is you can add a battery disconnect, and a power distribution block between things, then when ever you want to use ATV at the battery just flip the switch
that will stop all power drain from the battery

and on average with my OLDER non electronic's ATV, I average 5 yrs out of a battery NOT on a tender, and about 6-7 on an atv on a tender
but again, the more modern ATV's EFI and computer/digital dash/displays,(GPS and so on) will draw a LOT more power sitting than the older atv's that don't have all these things

they do sell solar powered tenders too, if you have a window near by that gets sun and can park atv close enough to it!
Old 04-02-2017, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
if your winch is draining the battery that fast, I think you have something else going on
ONE way you can TRY and help prevent this, is you can add a battery disconnect, and a power distribution block between things, then when ever you want to use ATV at the battery just flip the switch
that will stop all power drain from the battery

and on average with my OLDER non electronic's ATV, I average 5 yrs out of a battery NOT on a tender, and about 6-7 on an atv on a tender
but again, the more modern ATV's EFI and computer/digital dash/displays,(GPS and so on) will draw a LOT more power sitting than the older atv's that don't have all these things

they do sell solar powered tenders too, if you have a window near by that gets sun and can park atv close enough to it!
thought about that, but wondered if it would hurt the brain box to just unhook it every day, I eventually put a tender on it. my old '05 Yamaha 660 grizzly sets for months and always starts, it has a clock draining it also, the battery has been changed once. the kawa terryx will not start after 4 days from the drain of the winch box and the clock.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 04-02-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by flags
I'm coming into this a little late. Had me an unrequested "vacation" from the site for a few days. I inherited a Polaris ATV from my father when he passed. I've never driven it and it has not been out of the garage or even off the trailer since he left us in 2013. Personally I hate the things and as long as I can get around to hunt on shank's mare and foot leather I have no use for one. Seriously thinking about sending Dad's down the road to one of his grandsons but he had 3 and choosing 1 could lead to family issues.
The ATV is just a tool and some find a use for many things. I suspect you don't own much acreage because to work on the land a wheeler is invaluable. Kind of like a tractor to a farmer. Using one to hunt...IMO not that big a draw but for people who don't want to put much into it then I guess it is something they would use. To use one to draw out a deer for someone who is beyond the youth years is just plain smart. Just a tool and a Polaris is a nice machine flags. If your Dad liked it then so will you. It sounds like you were from the same tree. Just my opinion of course.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I suspect you don't own much acreage because to work on the land a wheeler is invaluable. Kind of like a tractor to a farmer.
I have a Ford tractor with a PTO system that came off my grandfather's farm. When I need to work the family land I use that. I just don't have much use for an ATV, especially for hunting. I'd rather walk my game up and pack it out on my back while I am physically capable of doing so. When I can no longer do that I'll probably hang up the guns.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I can understand your dislike of them flags seeing how you grew up hunting in the west and so many use them either illegally or unethically to get further back when true sportsmen have been hiking into the back country and doing it right. Just like any tool it can be abused but one can't fault the ATV. I use mine almost exclusively for ice fishing and my wife uses it along with a garden cart for yard work.