Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canada Bear

Old 03-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Spike

Default Canada Bear

I'm doing a bear hunt in Canada.
Is it worth bringing a hand gun into Canada ?

I see there is paperwork available, but not sure a hand gun is needed. Would certainly make me feel better !!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Short Track Hunter
I'm doing a bear hunt in Canada.
Is it worth bringing a hand gun into Canada ?

I see there is paperwork available, but not sure a hand gun is needed. Would certainly make me feel better !!
Not if you want to stay out of jail. Canada don't like handguns. Besides if you're hunting bear with a rifle and can''t kill one with a rifle then what makes you think you can do it with a pistol? Very few people shoot a pistol enough to get really good with it.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are taking a spring bear hunt in Canada, make sure you take twice as much bug dope as you think you will need. The black flies and skeeters will eat you alive.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't believe handguns are allowed for non residents.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Spike

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...s/5590-eng.pdf
Old 03-08-2017, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you think you would need a handgun? Have you ever shot a bear? They aren't that hard to kill. Do you think you could hit a bear with a pistol if you blew the shot with a rifle? Not sure I understand the mindset of dragging a handgun across the international border. What does your outfitter have to say about it? If you're an American and I'm assuming you are then by law you have to hire a guide in Canada. I'd be sure to get the outfitter's take before I did any paperwork.

But, to each his own.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck on your spring bear hunt... Yeah, I do not understand why you would want to carry a side arm either. I just think it will draw attention from customs and the like resulting in red flags where they may have law enforcement watch you close as well as perhaps a harder time going threw customs on both sides going over and back.. But clearly the choice is yours..
Old 03-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Spike

if you going to try to take a hand gun into Canada pack a lot of extra cloths because you are going to be there a lot longer then you planned on
Old 03-09-2017, 05:12 AM
Spike

Did anyone actually read the non-resident firearms declaration .pdf ??
Old 03-09-2017, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Short Track Hunter
Did anyone actually read the non-resident firearms declaration .pdf ??
Don't need to. I've hunted Canada for bear and I know that they don't like handguns even if legal. They bring too much attention by the authorities. Besides you don't need "back-up" if that is what you're concerned about since you'll have a guide with you. If you can't seal the deal on a bear with a rifle then you sure as heck aren't gonna do it with a pistol. Unless you practice a lot you're probably more dangerous to yourself and others with the pistol than a gut shot grizzly is.

So the questions remain: Why do you want to take the chance taking a pistol in and what does your outfitter have to say about it. If your outfitter is good with it then he/she will have all the paperwork ready to go and you wouldn't have to be on a forum like this asking questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.