Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Canada Bear

Old 03-09-2017, 07:51 AM
Dominant Buck

When going to Canada leave the handguns back home. There are times when even bringing a long gun or shotgun is a hassle when going either to or from Canada. You have to make sure you fill out the required paperwork correctly to eliminate delays crossing. There are some crossings that are notorious for nit picking hunters. For the most part non Canadian residents aren't able to carry a sidearm especially anything with a short barrel.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Spike

Why does the customs declaration form state HAND GUNS are permissible, just like a hunting rifle over 18".
Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look, you asked for input. That is what you are getting from people who have had more experience than you have. I have a good friend who was telling me a few months ago what a hassle he had at the border when he took a trip to Canada to hunt and he only had a long gun and he is a retired federal fish and wildlife agent. Canada doesn't even like their own citizens having firearms let alone non residents. The hassle doesn't only come from the border agents on the Canadian side either. You asked if it was worth taking a handgun into Canada, you got several answers from people who have made the trip more than once. Do whatever you want, but don't asked a question then argue with those who took time to give you a considered answer.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-09-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Short Track Hunter
Why does the customs declaration form state HAND GUNS are permissible, just like a hunting rifle over 18".
Why ask for input if you're not going to listen to it? By all means, take a handgun and if you get popped by Canadian customs or the Mounties have yourself a good time in the jailhouse.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Short Track Hunter
There are times when handguns do cross the border such as target handguns going to a sanctioned meet. I imagine LEO's as part of their duty also cross with sidearms. I think in all cases when they do cross it is rare since canada doesn't view the possession well. I can assure you that if you insist on crossing with any type of sidearm you will end up saying it was a mistake and like OT said you have been forewarned. The last hunt I did in Canada was 3 years ago with 2 long guns and the outfitter suggested what crossing points to avoid since many of the clients were hassled and they didn't complicate it with bringing a hand gun in. Whatever you bring make sure you register them at US customs and pay the fee on the US side before you cross. One trip I made was through an entry point in Maine and one member of our party had both a rifle and a muzzle loader which really caused an issue trying to cross back over. As I remember it had something to do with it being a 50 Cal which really sent out red flags for some reason. The border guards apparently didn't know the difference between a rifle and ML. That one took a while to resolve and another trip had too much meat left on the scull plates and they sent us back to Canada to comply with their import/ export rules. I guess they wanted bare bone with no red showing which is what they got after we came back. We practically had to bleach them. Another trip we had all the guns and scull plates/ antlers in an enclosed trailer and they never even physically checked them so you never know what to expect. It isn't the US and expect a hassle. Leave the hand guns home. And I'll add this...if you are anywhere near an Indian reservation may God help you if you do something they consider wrong. They have their own wardens and judges. They make their own rules.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-09-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Spike

by all means take your hand gun with you when they ask you if you have a hand gun with you just say oh no i would never bring my hand gun with me
Old 03-09-2017, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quebechunter
by all means take your hand gun with you when they ask you if you have a hand gun with you just say oh no i would never bring my hand gun with me
Then expect and accept free room and board, AND confiscation of the hand gun. I got rid of mine a long time ago, because it is a total PITA to have one. You get a permit to convey it from your doorstep to the range, and then home. It must be locked in a secure case, and if you stop at a convenience store on the way, and get caught, free room and board, and no more gun. Go for it if you like jailhouse food.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

Are you archery , black powder or rifle hunting? I live less then an hour to border crossing here in Montana. I have crossed over with long guns, as few folks on here have said, NEVER HANDGUN. Where in Canada are you headed for your bear hunt? I know many archers here in Montana and elsewhere carry pepper spray, which they claim is very effective. If your in grizz country, I can appreciate wanting to carry a side arm when headed to privy or perhaps cutting wood, if you are in grizz country, and using a high power rifle, I would still suggest taking a 12 gauge , couple buck shot, backed up by slug. More cumbersome, but will do the job if your just hanging at camp if you don't have your rifle.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I have read somewhere that the newer high powered bear spray is very effective especially if needed fast in close quarters. I think a lot of fishermen are starting to carry them when fishing waters shared by bears. Some of them come with a holster too.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just found this. Even if you take a handgun, you can't legally carry it in the field in a condition ready to use if you also have a long gun in your hands:

Firearms, Ammunition

It is unlawful:

unless you have a permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during a closed season in any area frequented by wildlife. A person travelling to a hunting area may, if he/she holds the proper game licence, transport a firearm or ammunition if the firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied.

unless you have a valid game licence and/or permit, to carry, transport or possess firearms or ammunition during an open season for shooting in any area frequented by wildlife.

to carry, transport or possess, in any area frequented by wildlife, any pump or autoloading shotgun unless it is plugged or altered so that it cannot carry any more than a total of three shells in the magazine and chamber combined.
to hunt with any fully automatic rifle. Semi-automatic or autoloading rifles may be used.

unless you have a permit, to possess in any camp, tent or summer cottage, any firearm during closed season.

to carry, transport or possess a loaded firearm in or on, or discharge a firearm from, any aircraft, motor vehicle, snow machine, or all-terrain vehicle. A firearm is considered to be loaded if there is a live shell or cartridge in the chamber or magazine, and the magazine is attached to the firearm in its usual position.

to discharge a firearm from or across any railway bed, highway, public or private road.
to use or possess, in any area frequented by wildlife, any ammunition that has been cut, ringed or altered in any way.

for a licensed hunter to carry or possess more than one firearm unless each extra firearm is cased or securely wrapped and tied.

to discharge a firearm within 1,000 meters of a school, playground or athletic field, or within 300 meters of a dwelling.

to discharge a firearm or hunt on most community pastures during the period May 1 to Nov. 30 inclusive. Check with nearest Department of Justice- Fish and Wildlife Enforcement or Wildlife Division office.

to discharge or handle a firearm while hunting without exercising reasonable care for the safety of other persons.
http://www.ecc.gov.nl.ca/wildlife/hunting/hunters.html

Class is dismissed. You may go out and play now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.