Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Buffalo Hunt?

Old 02-19-2017, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I actually looked at the site since I love bison meat and could actually envision a meat hunt just to fill the freezer. I was surprised at the low meat net from a 1 1/2 year old cow or bull. I thought even the young and tender ones were bigger.
The largest Cow I've taken was right at 1200 on the hoof. Lotta gut weight and those hides are by far NOT light either. Then you have a pretty hefty bone structure. I ended up with a little over 360 pounds of some great meat.

Largest Bull was around 1000 pounds more give or take 50 (broke the scales right at the end of the lift) and got right around 600 from it. Meat was really good but the meat from the Cow was MUCH better. As it is with pretty much all meat animals.

Never shot a little 1.5 year old so I can't speak to the average weight of them but they are visibly smaller by a long shot than a mature Bull or Cow.

Still though, at $1600 for around 200 pounds of meat that is 100 times better for you than cattle, is a pretty dang good deal. Didn't see the prices for their processors but figure a couple hundred probably and you are still coming out around $8.00 a pound.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bison meat cow
Elk meat cow
Blue Nilgai

All with a modern inline muzzleloader. Im strictly a meat hunter and these are some of the best eating with lots of meat too. My aunt's husband in Texas sent me some nilgai meat once. I think it was from King Ranch. Darn fine eating.

I would love to put one of these in the freezer. About $2350 for 1 bull and 1 cow or $1950 just for a bull.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-24-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like a great price GM. What ranch has that price?

Flags, thanks for the reference as I value your opinion. Jeepkid, I'm looking at the link now.

And Rob, I should have been more descriptive but yes, I was referring to North American Bison. No offense to the guys who hunt cape buffalo but a Bison just kind of pulls at me. Must be an American thing.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oops meant for that to be in the bucket list thread. I just copied it over there.

Pricing is from King Ranch in Texas. I would just as soon take a bison cow though if offered at a similar price.

https://kingranchhunting.com/types-and-rates/

Last edited by Gm54-120; 02-24-2017 at 08:09 AM.