Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Pack for elk hunting/hauling >

Pack for elk hunting/hauling

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Pack for elk hunting/hauling

Old 01-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Spike

Default Pack for elk hunting/hauling

I know the whole pack topic has been brought up many times but I figured I'd start a new thread since some new gear has emerged.

This fall I'll be going on a elk hunt out to Colorado DIY with some friends who have had lots of prior success. Gathering gear now so I can familiarize myself with it, but every time I go to order a pack I just find another one and am having a difficult time settling on one.

This will be a pack hunt and hopefully carrying meat out at the end. Started my criteria looking for external frames and keep finding internal frames I also like. Pros and cons to each I know....that's what brought me here.

I'd like to hear from more experienced members who have "been there done that" I know the pack is an intricial part that I want to make the hunt more enjoyable.

Looking to keep the budget under $500
Old 01-16-2017, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Alaskan Frame pack to get elk out. Have packed out 13 or 14 and it has held up extreamly well in the 12 years I have owned it. With that said, I am not packing in to camp.

Last year I bought the Tenzing 4000 so I could save myself a packing trip. It unzippers and can hold a quarter for my walk out. I would take a look at the Tenzing 6000. They are well made packs.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Spike

I ended up finding the Badlands summit for sale just over 200 so I Ordered it. Should be in for this weekend hopefully got to try it out and figure out if it'll be the pack I will use by the spring. If not I'll be back on the market for another. At that discount and pretty good reviews I figured I would give it a try. Their customer service was a big selling feature hopefully it won't be needed