Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Funny stuff seen/heard on hunting shows >

Funny stuff seen/heard on hunting shows

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Funny stuff seen/heard on hunting shows

Old 01-04-2017, 04:30 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Default Funny stuff seen/heard on hunting shows

I don’t have cable, but I’ve often seen other threads abouthunting shows and was a bit puzzled about some of the comments. However, I spent last month housesitting fora friend with cable, and I’ve noticed a few “interesting” things while watchingOutdoor Channel, Pursuit Channel, Sportsmans Channel, etc.

Of course, we should start with “a bit far back,” “smokedhim,” “I tell you what,” and “harvest.”
Hunter drops an elk with a spine shot, and the guide says,“Great shot!” Didn’t the hunteraccidentally hit it a foot high?
Whispering the range to the shooter with unnecessaryprecision: “He’s 213.6 yards away.”
Lowering the rifle from the shoulder between shots. (One TV hunter lowered the butt of hisshotgun almost to his KNEES before he racked the slide for a follow-up shot.)
Not knowing the difference between horns and antlers.
FIVE people (shooter, guide, main cameraman, host, andsecond cameraman) “sneaking” in on an animal and then wondering why it spooked.
Hunters stuffing an ENTIRE elk leg (bones and hide all theway to the hoof!) into their packs and hiking miles back to camp instead of takinga few minutes to skin/debone and greatly reduce the humpage factor.
“Brace height is the distance from the string to the Bergerbutton.”
Says “It’s 180 yards, but I have complete confidence in myXYZ muzzleloader,” goes prone, and manages a complete miss. (And his target wasn’t a ground squirrel; itwas a freakin’ brown bear!)
On one of those long-range hunting shows they shoot 780yards at a nice Sitka buck, and you can clearly see the contrail. When the bullet is halfway to the buck, hestarts to move forward. By the time theslug arrives, the buck has moved 4-6”. Fortunately, it’s still a fatal hit, and the buck drops after stumbling70-80 yards. Hunter says they are “allout of gas, so we’ll pick it up in the morning.” When they arrive on scene next morning, Mr.Buck’s belly seemed bloated, so I hope they were able to salvage the meat.

Dreadful grammar:
“I’ve did it before.”
“A doe had came out of the woods.”
“We seen the elk…”
“I had just went to my stand…”
“We done hiked twelves miles…”
“I come up the hill…”
“We was just getting into position…”
“Him and I drove to the farm…”
“Where you at?”
“Me and him were really looking forward to this hunt.”
“He’d only ran 50 yards before expiring.”

Ludicrous misuse of the word “literally”:
“My stomach was literally tied in a knot.”
“The buck came to us literally on a string.”
“My heart literally jumped out of my chest.”
“The buck literally walked on top of us.”
“The deer literally turned itself inside out as it escaped.”
“My head literally exploded when I muffed the shot.”
“The bull literally vanished into thin air.”
“We were literally sitting ducks.”
“Missing that deer literally turned my world upside down.”
“We were literally actually right on top of him.”
“The deer were literally hammering the soybeans.”

(Yes, I have too muchtime on my hands. I’m retired.)
Although many of these folks are probably good hunters (perhapsbetter than me), this past month has been quite entertaining -- but probablynot how the TV presenters intended!
What doozies have you seen/heard?
Old 01-04-2017, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunter drops an elk with a spine shot, and the guide says,“Great shot!” Didn’t the hunter accidentally hit it a foot high?
Uhhh not necessarily. My choice of favorite shots is high shoulder which will often interrupt spinal function and get full lung destruction. If I "miss" high then more than likely no damage or injury to the animal. "Miss" low and I still get lungs and more than likely heart as well.

Whispering the range to the shooter with unnecessary precision: “He’s 213.6 yards away.
No such animal as "unnecessary" precision. Any precision that can be accomplished in the field is welcome to me at all times.

“Brace height is the distance from the string to the Bergerbutton.”
Actually that's not totally incorrect. With MOST bows, the distance between the deepest part of the throat of the grip and the positioning of a plunger button (commonly called a Berger Button) is identical to the string for getting Brace Height. Rest positions, or rather the threaded inserts for rest attachment, are typically even with the deepest part of the throat for proper geometry.

As far as your nitpicks about grammar, I'm sure glad you live in the land of commifornia where you have limited rights. Rather than nitpicking about one's use of the English language, how about you try focusing on changing some of your idiot statesmen's minds about yours and others rights to freedom and the American way!
Old 01-04-2017, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you'll be ordering cable when you get home!
-Jake
Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Smoked that joker. Got it done.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Give me a second . . .
Old 01-06-2017, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting shows are all about archers hitting game poorly and then telling you they "smoked him" but the always are out after dark until they find the animal.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Honestly I'm to the point where I can't even watch most of them, or I'll watch because the hunt/location/species interests me but the hosts/hunters I can't handle, especially when the cheese discussions start.... I'll flip back n forth or dvr so I can fast forward to the actual hunting.

I swear some of these shows are 20mins of "bros-talking" and sponsor ads with like 5mins of hunting/killing, and then half the time they don't talk about the gun or cartridge used and they don't even show of the animal that well sometimes either.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Uhhh not necessarily. My choice of favorite shots is high shoulder which will often interrupt spinal function and get full lung destruction. If I "miss" high then more than likely no damage or injury to the animal. "Miss" low and I still get lungs and more than likely heart as well.

No such animal as "unnecessary" precision. Any precision that can be accomplished in the field is welcome to me at all times.

Actually that's not totally incorrect. With MOST bows, the distance between the deepest part of the throat of the grip and the positioning of a plunger button (commonly called a Berger Button) is identical to the string for getting Brace Height. Rest positions, or rather the threaded inserts for rest attachment, are typically even with the deepest part of the throat for proper geometry.

As far as your nitpicks about grammar, I'm sure glad you live in the land of commifornia where you have limited rights. Rather than nitpicking about one's use of the English language, how about you try focusing on changing some of your idiot statesmen's minds about yours and others rights to freedom and the American way!
You are one to talk about nit picking. Wow!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Besides some of yours, I can't get away from the supposed camera view of taking the shot when the cameraman is in front of the shooter. I prefer over the shoulder views.

I believe it's about the "dumbing down" of America. They either do not think people notice or people care. Like screeching tires on a dirt road.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rogerstv
You are one to talk about nit picking. Wow!
Naaa...Just irks me when someone jumps on others not here to defend themselves or their statements and in so doing posts complete false information. If you want to show someones lack of intelligence, at least have the intelligence to refute ones statements with correct information!

And being Southern, I tend to take it a bit personal when someone, especially someone from commiefornia where "valley girl" dialect and "surfer dude" speak comes from, insults our grammar. Just like every other part of the country and world, we Southerners have our own dialect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.