Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big Game Drawings

Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

We have a decent system here in California, I think anyway.

I'll use deer for example. We have "premium", "restricted" and "general" zones. You put in for a Premium area for your First Choice and either a restricted or general for your Second/Third Choice. If you are unsuccessful on your First Choice then you will get a Preference Point. Right now the max points for deer is 14, unless you started in the beginning then you will never "max out". I drew a Premium tag when 8 points was the Max so now I'm way behind. Luckily, we don't have many areas that require Max points, but a bunch of very good areas around the 4-8 point mark, so most people can and do draw a very good area every couple years. My Dad currently has Max points and is waiting to draw a late season hunt that only has 25 tags (same area I drew a few years ago), eventually he will draw it since less and less people have Max points. But it's not worth it for him to use his points on a less then Max area.

We also have a Party System, they will take every hunters points in a group and average them. Then either everyone gets a tag or no one get a tag.

Now as far as sheep goes, it's pointless for anyone to continue buying a point. There's thousands of applicants and only a handful of tags every year. It would take at least 40 years to draw a sheep tag if you started putting in right now.