Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Corner jumping

Old 01-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bdan68
A GPS unit may be accurate to 12 feet but that doesn't necessarily mean it can locate a property corner with that kind of accuracy. It would depend more so on the map that you're using, or the coordinate you're using for that particular corner. Most maps used in GPS units are based off county assessor's maps, and plenty of times I've seen where their property corners and/or lines are off by three to four hundred feet. So I sure wouldn't count on a GPS getting you within 12 feet of the actual property corner.
I would really have to question that inaccuracy statement in this day and age! Your last statement is exactly why I stated earlier that I would not use one to corner cross unless I was able to use it to actually find the surveyor marker itself.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I would really have to question that inaccuracy statement in this day and age! Your last statement is exactly why I stated earlier that I would not use one to corner cross unless I was able to use it to actually find the surveyor marker itself.
Remember I was talking about the maps that the county assessors produce. Where you'll see lines off by this much is in areas that have never been surveyed, at least not since the original government surveys that were done mostly in the 1800's.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember I was talking about the maps that the county assessors produce. Where you'll see lines off by this much is in areas that have never been surveyed, at least not since the original government surveys that were done mostly in the 1800's.
I have no idea where those areas would be since everywhere my buddy and I have hunted in Wyoming along with AZ, NM, and ID using the landownership chips in our Garmin GPS they have been accurate to within a few feet. There surely can't be very many places like you're talking about or the GPS chips would be worthless when in actuality they are probably the best thing introduced to outdoorsmen in the last 20 years.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-19-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Anybody depending on a map that is based on a survey more than 100 years old deserves to be ticketed if they find themselves on private land. The entire county has been mapped by satellite imagery. You don't even have to pay for it all you need to do is get google earth and download or print the maps.