Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Favorite Big Game hunt?

Old 12-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

Growing up in Colorado when most, if not all, deer, elk, and bear tags were OTC, and living the last 40 years in Montana, I've enjoyed many great hunts. In the past 17 years I've also been lucky enough to have made two great Canadian big game hunts, a super hunt in New Zealand, and six African hunts.

But probably the hunts that I enjoyed the most were the 20 or so years that I had horses, and every fall I would pack them into the Montana back country on DIY hunts for Elk, Shiras Moose, and Bighorn Sheep.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is something special about being on horseback in the back country.........................
Old 12-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Pronghorn was my favorite.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:49 PM
Spike

Default horse hunts

Originally Posted by moosemike
Pronghorn was my favorite.
try hunting pronghorn on horses. Life gets exciting when you try to get your gun out of the boot when the antelope charge. It's kind of a cross between a rodeo and combat.

This year I had similar event while elk hunting. Six head of elk crossed in front of the horses. My partners got off to look over the edge to see if they stopped to wait for the horses. As they moved ahead and I held their horses three more ron down the hill directly at them. My son missed while my long time partner killed a charging cow at 10 ft. I told him that next year he would have to kill one with a spear.

While the shooting was going on my horses backed up until mine sat down. Just another Montana rodeo.
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

My favorite big-game hunt has to be hog hunting with dogs, just can't beat the exciement and the meat is excellent, I've hunted in Georgia, Florida, and Texas so far. ANY whitetail hunt in Texas is bound to be a good time as well, not really interested in high-fence, but there are plenty of low-fence operations; I've not only seen more deer in one sit than I usually do in a week hunting at home, but you never know what is going to pop out of the brush (javelina, hogs, bobcats, Rio turkeys, coyotes, Axis deer).
Old 12-29-2016, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Out of all the hunts I've done, my Alaska brown bear hunt is prob. my favorite. 21 days in the bush on 2 hunts w/ my brother guiding was bad*ss! My NM mountain lion hunt was a close 2nd!
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Did you get a bear and a cat coolbrze?
-Jake
Old 01-01-2017, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Did you get a bear and a cat coolbrze?
-Jake
Yes - both made books
Old 02-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite hunt by far is DIY elk hunting first rifle season in Colorado (mid-October) at 11500 feet elevation. We organize our gear in Durango on Thursday, drive up and set up camp Friday, and roll out of bed about 4 AM Saturday morning. We set up a 12' x 14' canvas wall tent and have a wood-burning stove to keep things warm. The tent and stove add a seriously cool ambience to the hunt. I love lying in my sleeping bag the night before opening day hearing the wood pop from time to time in the stove, seeing the dancing of fire light on the tent wall (from the crevices of the metal of the stove), hearing the air drawing into the tent. We hunt on public forest service land, but there aren't too many people around because it is a deep drive back into the woods. While it is not wilderness, it occurred to me while hunting last year that there is not virtual difference between where we hunt and wilderness. I've been on three separate wilderness backpacking trips, and our hunting spot is essentially as remote and wild as those backpacking trips were.

Elk hunting is a challenge for me in many ways -- physically and mentally. I've taken 3 elk. My family and I love the meat, which I butcher myself and cook myself. I have a couple of excellent hunting partners (they are Durango locals; I'm from Texas).
Old 03-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

And a spammer just has to show up! Why?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.