Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help with Elk hunt

Old 09-22-2016, 08:42 PM
Spike

Default Need help with Elk hunt

hello I have 2 days left on a 7 day elk hunt in the palisades zone unit 67 Idaho. so far heard 2 bulls seen one that is it . no cows, spikes nothing else no smell of elk .anyone have experience here that can point me in the right direction. Also not seeing a lot of hunters a few trucks parking on the side of the roads each morning but that is it. My feet hurt from hiking these steep mountains so putting in the miles searching is not the problem. if you prefer you can email me directly ... [email protected]

Last edited by smitty0538; 09-22-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Your problem is you're in a place where you can get online. Shut the computer off and hunt hard from dawn to dusk. Go into the woods in the dark and come out of them in the dark. Of the 25 elk I've shot not one was shot from a computer terminal.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 AM
Spike

They have smart phones now days that have Internet on them old timer. You can even get mapping programs for them. My post was done last night in my cabin at 11:00 pm. We have been in the mountains by 6:00 every morning and out at 8:00 every night. ...Edited by Champlain Islander...

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-23-2016 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Rule 12 personal attack. No need to be insulting warning
Old 09-23-2016, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Someone's a little touchy. I think I see what the problem is, know everything and won't listen to a guy that has killed 25 elk and been in on the taking of over 100 others. Hey, what do I know right?

Ok here's another piece of elk hunting advice: Get a backpack, load it up and go find some elk tracks. When you find them start following them. When the sun sets sleep on the trail and begin tracking again at dawn. Eventually you'll find the tracks with the elk still standing in them. I did that once for 5 days before I tagged the bull. Guess what, no smart phone, mapping apps etc... just good old fashioned shoe leather and tenacity. The old ways still work.

Last edited by flags; 09-23-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:30 AM
Spike

Smile

...Deleted by CalHunter... If anyone is familiar with this unit I'm in please reply . Only looking for information on unit 67 in Idaho.
Thank you.

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-23-2016 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Violation of Rules 2, 8 & 12--3-day temp ban.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

2 violations have resulted in a 3-day temp ban for the OP. The OP originally requested anybody with experience "here" that can point him in the right direction. His description was about not seeing or smelling much elk sign despite there being few hunters in the area. The "here" comment could be taken as for just unit 67 or, more likely, as a request on how to figure out an area with challenging hunting specifics. During the above exchange, the OP has now narrowed his request for information or tactics down to specifically unit 67 in Idaho.

Since the OP still has a couple of days left on his elk hunt, if anybody has any information specific only to unit 67 in Idaho, please post something as the OP will still be able to read your post despite his temp ban. After the 3 days, he can post his thanks and let us know how the hunt went.
CalHunter

Last edited by CalHunter; 09-23-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know that unit and don't have advice on that specific unit. At this time of year elk tend to be up high -- just below tree line. If you are hunting far below tree line, that could be the problem. I don't know, of course, what altitude you have been hunting at.

I would say hearing 2 bulls and seeing 1 bull is actually fairly encouraging. Some elk hunters don't hear or see bulls during a hunting season.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Alsatian
I don't know that unit and don't have advice on that specific unit. At this time of year elk tend to be up high -- just below tree line. If you are hunting far below tree line, that could be the problem. I don't know, of course, what altitude you have been hunting at.

I would say hearing 2 bulls and seeing 1 bull is actually fairly encouraging. Some elk hunters don't hear or see bulls during a hunting season.
Alsatian,

I'll politely disagree. I've rut hunted bull elk. I've heard literally dozens of bulls bugling every morning and evening. The one I killed on a public land, fair chase hunt bugled continually. After following his bugle for about 2 & a half hours over I have no clue of how many ridges, I was finally able to kill him. He was a monster elk.

If he's heard only 2 bulls, either he's in an area with few elk, or he's doing something very wrong.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mando
Alsatian,

If he's heard only 2 bulls, either he's in an area with few elk, or he's doing something very wrong.
Not necessarily. In places where elk get a lot of pressure most bulls stay pretty quiet. The vocal ones get shot. I grew up in elk country and I've been in places literally crawling with elk during the rut and never heard a peep out of them. Me thinks that you're painting with too broad of a brush on your comment.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I'm with Flags and Alsa on that one. Elk can be some seriously strange critters. I, like Flag's statement, have been in areas where they don't EVER shut up and give you a derned headache from all the bugling. And then other times Ill see bulls all over the place and not a bugle to be heard. That's over MANY MANY MANY moons of hunting Elk. You just never know with them critters. It's like they have a mind of their own or something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.