Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Buffalo WY, Oct 5-9 info?

Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buffalo WY, Oct 5-9 info?

My wife and I are trying to be patient for our trip to get here, tough to do! :-) We are going combo hunt antelope/Mulie.

Can anyone from the Buffalo WY area tell us:

1) What to expect for weather? Temp, wind?

2) What's an average antelope for that area?

3) What's an average Mulie for that area?

We've never gotten either species and will be rifle hunting. Looking for some guidance so we don't shoot the first little one we see!
Old 08-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

It's been a few years since I've been out that way. And I'm not what I would consider a trophy hunter. But I hunted near the Buffalo, WY area. I was also on a mulie/antelope combo hunt. From what I recall antelope in the low 70'" range, which is a nice (but not record) antelope were fairly common with a lot in the 60ish inch class. As for the mulies I saw quite a few - mostly doe. I did shoot a nice decent 4x4 on the first afternoon after a 5 hour stalk! The guide found him at about 8:30 in the morning on the opposite hillside and by the time we hiked over there and found him again it was about 1:15 in the afternoon. As luck would have it, as we were packing him out, close to the same spot where we were glassing in the morning was an even bigger buck! Antelope hunting is a blast. Just enjoy yourself and have fun. BTW I used a 270 Win for both critters.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great news! Who did you hunt with?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:54 AM
Spike

Weather, it's going to depend on if you're in or near Buffalo. If you'll be in the Bighorn's there might be some snow. It'll be in the low 20's at night and maybe hit the 60's? It all depends, last year it was pretty warm that first weekend in October. Expect a lot of wind, great for spot and stalking, buy a cow decoy...they're worth it.

I think there's some good HMA and BLM west of i-25 in unit 20. You'll find some antelope in the mid 60's to low 80's if you're lucky. Unit 22 there's some large antelope but very little public access and most landowners make you pay a trespass fee of $250-600. Lots of great Mulies in/near the bighorns just have to find them.