Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Keeping ones composure!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

all my trips to AK, I carried a 10 mm as well, for the higher amount of rounds, faster reloading and well, was a Glock that took bad weather and I didn;t care about keeping it pretty LOL

wouln't want to find out how well I can shoot at a charging bear, but better than nothing

a lot of guides after a LOT of yrs, can get careless IMO
its like when your start driving your, very , super alert and paying attention, and then a bunch of yrs later you driving eating talking on the phone and what ever else???
you get lax, and that can have major deadly results??
Old 08-18-2016, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

All I can tell you is that if I went on a guided fishing trip where bears were known to inhabit the area like they were and the guide showed up with a little 9mm I'd tell him to go home and get something that would protect us a lot better or I wouldn't be going with him! I've got a little .380 Beretta and they are decent for defense against humans, but no way would I be carrying it to defend myself against hundreds of pounds of teeth and claws hell bent to eat me!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

They did a study that said basically, 2 9's is better than most any single handgun bullet. They say the FBI is giving up on the 10, two reasons, it is only marginally better than the 9 and the grip is hard for small handed people.

IMO anything you can control the recoil on and get a second shot off quick is preferable in most cases to large bore and/or magnums. If you only manage to hit it once before it is on top of you, you are likely SOL with most any handgun.

We were learning the double tap way back in the early 70's, though it takes some practice to be good at it.

I always ask myself why they weren't carrying a slug gun, carbine or lever gun myself. Even an anemic rifle is more powerful than the majority of handguns.

Penetration on the 9 is around 16 inches, less with hollow points.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 08-18-2016 at 07:38 PM.