Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What do y'all want to know about hunting? >

What do y'all want to know about hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do y'all want to know about hunting?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well OT, there were several places I hunted in PA that had quite a few deer on them and then absolutely 0 deer sign. I saw it for myself a couple of years. Mainly up in the Poke. I didn't take the word of the stumpers as I know full well how pitifully weak they were in their actual scouting and hunting skills. These were places that weren't "over run" with deer in the first place and a fella had to actually do some good scouting and stand placement to be successful. Then, after the deer reduction plan went into place, all of a sudden there was absolutely NO sign whatsoever. No tracks on trails that had been used for many years, no fresh rubs or scrapes, no droppings, and no deer! They came back eventually and from what my buddy up there told me, he is seeing some really good sign as well as a good number of deer and also seeing some pretty healthy looking bucks sprouting some bone! I don't think the problem was wide spread but I do know for a fact of 3 or 4 spots that I hunt myself which consist of well over 2000 acres combined where we saw little to absolutely no sign of deer for almost 2 years. As I said previously, these spots weren't over run in the first place so when a bunch of yahoos come in decimating a herd it kind of gets to be a touchy subject for me as well when people say "there was no elimination" anywhere in the state. I'm by far no "stumper" and I work year round scouting or my buddies that I hunt with in other states work just as hard locating deer on the years that my schedule doesn't allow for me to get over there to properly scout. Now South Central PA such as Grantville and Hershey, I don't think they took enough out! That area is dang near infested with deer!
Old 07-12-2016, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, I've seen the bucks getting a lot bigger in PA. But hunting them in the big woods sure is a challenge. They are unpredictable and spooky. Would be tough to make a hunting show in there. Especially when you are in an overgrown clear cut or laurel patch with 5 foot visibility.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I consider it a plus that it would be hard to film a deer hunting show in PA.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

I have some bow hunting spots in places like that. Crawl in/out. Sit on a single 30 ft long shooting lane and wait for deer to hit the trail. Can't see them coming but can hear them moving through the brush. I put a visiting hunter in a spot like that and he looked at me like I was crazy. Ended up seeing a 10 & an 8 pt that evening but couldn't get a good shot. The deer are in the thick stuff. Just gotta figure out how to set up on them.
-Jake
Old 07-14-2016, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I would like to see videos of B&C bucks taken in the big woods of PA. Preferably on state game land.
I think that would probably wind up on "Ripley's Believe it or Not".

For the OP, I'd be interested in seeing a video of fall turkey hunting with a dog. I have a great turkey dog, I'd be happy to participate if you have some land that holds a good turkey population.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 07-14-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even though I'm a (relatively still) young and arrogant know-it-all who steps on my d!ck a lot by how I say things, it's pretty easy to get a bad impression from the subtext behind the "What do yall want to know about hunting?" thread title - which comes off a passive aggressive way of saying "I know more than you."

If you want to make your way doing this - be truthful and stop pretending to be something you're not. Show your own learning process, and learn. People read blogs on "my first marathon" just as often as they read blogs by the pros. That's the genuine article. When you come in here and advertise yourself as "what do you want me to teach you?," it obviously comes off the wrong way to a huge portion of what COULD HAVE BEEN your subscribers - given the right approach, that didn't need to happen.

Making money in a vlog is nothing more than marketing. Marketing is about messaging - your messaging needs work.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I consider it a plus that it would be hard to film a deer hunting show in PA.
I agree with this. Can you imagine our forefathers, the great hunters of yesteryear, passing on a shot because the camera angle or lighting wasn't just right? Just doesn't seem like hunting to me. Seems like making movies where you shoot animals on film.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Even though I'm a (relatively still) young and arrogant know-it-all who steps on my d!ck a lot by how I say things, it's pretty easy to get a bad impression from the subtext behind the "What do yall want to know about hunting?" thread title - which comes off a passive aggressive way of saying "I know more than you."

If you want to make your way doing this - be truthful and stop pretending to be something you're not. Show your own learning process, and learn. People read blogs on "my first marathon" just as often as they read blogs by the pros. That's the genuine article. When you come in here and advertise yourself as "what do you want me to teach you?," it obviously comes off the wrong way to a huge portion of what COULD HAVE BEEN your subscribers - given the right approach, that didn't need to happen.

Making money in a vlog is nothing more than marketing. Marketing is about messaging - your messaging needs work.
I haven't seen the OP posting again but NoMercy448's hunt and job specific advice above is absolutely spot on. It's the kind of quality advice that could help shape the OP's career if he was wise enough to read, understand and then implement it.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know of no one who is born with any knowledge, as that was even a naive attempt at making friends ??

You know the ole' saying; Young, dumb and full of "fun" !
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't seen the OP post in a while and checked his last log in date--June 17th. He must be awful busy implementing all of this expert advice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.