Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What do y'all want to know about hunting? >

What do y'all want to know about hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What do y'all want to know about hunting?

Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
You certainly have a way with words SH. Your message is pertinent to all us old geezers. With age come knowledge....until we start to forget.
Forget what, LOL!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Looked to me like the youngin was just asking for idea's in what we as HUNTERS would like to see in his vids. Kinda just went about the asking in a roundabout way but such is youth nowadays. I saw nothing presumptive nor arrogant in his post. And Flags, I'm one of the oldest on here and I'd be willing to bet I have hunted much more on this old continent than you have but I still learn new things with every outing. My kids tend to teach me almost as much as I have taught them over the years. Kinda like the discussion I had pertaining RR the other day, I've been reloading and wildcatting rifles since he was still in his diapers and I STILL take his advise on some things when it comes to rifles and reloading! When you get to where you think you know everything and someone can't teach you something new just because they are younger than you, then you are losing out on the opportunity for many new things! Same goes for you too Oldtimr!! Now put yer dentures in and chew on that one!!
This is one of the best post I have read in some time! I have 42 years of hunting experience myself but mostly just locally. I have a lot of respect for Flags for his service to this country and agree with him on most other things also, and I also respect Oldtimer but I will always be willing to learn no matter how old the teacher.
Old 06-11-2016, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

I remember years ago when I got my first digital watch. I couldn't for the life of me get it set to the proper time and date. I handed it to my pre teen daughter who had it set within 30 seconds. I swear they come out of the womb with those skills.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
You certainly have a way with words SH. Your message is pertinent to all us old geezers. With age come knowledge....until we start to forget.
I just speak me mind CI and if someone don't like hearing/reading truth then that would be their problem. Hell I've probably forgotten more than most these little upstarts on youtube will ever know when it comes to hunting in this great country but there is ALWAYS some little nugget tucked away in a youngins mind, be it new fangled technology or just some new idea that a young mind has a tendency to come up with, that can always be gleaned by an old hunter if they are willing to keep their eyes, ears, and minds open. "Ignorance is the lack of knowledge on a certain subject, stupidity is the failure to learn that subject" Cant remember who said that but it's a quote I try to live by. I don't mind being ignorant, but stupid I aint!
Old 06-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya. At least with me, I often resort to the old tried and true ways which has always worked well for me. Occasionally something new comes out which makes my old tried and true ways less effective. Generally that new way to do something is taught to me by one of the younger sportsmen who hang out with me hoping to gain from my knowledge. I have a following especially with the fishing sports and I am never too proud to learn from one of them. A teacher has to also be a student if he wants to improve.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UnlimitedOutdoorPursuits
Hey there everyone, my name is Hunter Petrie. I am an avid outdoorsman and hunter from the Colorado Rocky Mountains. I am young and have developed a major passion for all things outdoors, especially hunting big game with a bow. I do videos for YouTube in regards to all things outdoors and I am looking for ideas. I would like to know what questions y'all have about any and everything? What quick tips and tricks can I showcase to y'all through YouTube? What do y'all want to see? It can be big game hunting related, backpacking related, camping related, etc. Shoot me a line and let me know and I will use my experience to the best of my ability! Thanks guys and I look forward to hearin from ya!
Best Regards,
Hunter @ Unlimited Outdoor Pursuits
Excellent post SH. I watched a few of his videos and he is obviously young (late teens/20's). We were all his age at one time in our lives and trying to figure out what we wanted to do in life and what kind of goals we wanted to set.

Maybe his post could have been expressed a little differently but if you think about it logically, his intent is to get ideas for YouTube videos from our membership who are almost all older and more experienced. How many of us expressed ourselves perfectly clear at his age?

He's young and wants to make a name for himself and create a career in the outdoor industry which is a laudable goal. Like most people his age, he prefers digital media (as opposed to us old farts who like to read or just go experiment in the outdoors) so it's very likely that he's trying to develop a following among younger people that like digital media and watch YouTube videos and with companies who are interested in expanding into that area.

So how can he make himself stand out a bit from the crowd? Easy. Ask a bunch of old guys with lots of hunting experience about things we'd be interested in and tailor his media content to topics likely to gain interest from media watchers and companies.

There are many of you right here in this topic that I would watch any videos you put out. Heck, I helped SH edit a hunting primer just to soak up some of his wisdom. Most of us will likely never create our own videos or probably not write a book or hunting article either. Yes, we'll pass a lot of our knowledge gained through a lifetime of hunting experiences on to a few family members or friends but most of us will never impart that hunting wisdom to a larger group of younger and/or newer hunters other than through our posts here on HNI.

If the OP was smart, he would pick all of your brains on a LOT of quality hunting information and begin developing scripts for LOTS of hunting videos way beyond his current experience. I would definitely watch those. There's an incredible amount of hunting wisdom on this website and most guys would bend over backwards to help a fellow hunter out. If the OP is still reading this topic, I just gave you a huge nudge on how to develop your brand WAY beyond what you've been considering.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-11-2016 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Dominant Buck

And that is why you are the master CalHunter. All I can say is great job and I hope the OP takes your advice to heart.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see videos of B&C bucks taken in the big woods of PA. Preferably on state game land.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I would like to see videos of B&C bucks taken in the big woods of PA. Preferably on state game land.
Tell ya what Barnes, It USED to be a mighty rare thing to see a B&C buck on PA State game lands but they are getting there! The past 10 years or so has been seeing more and more mature bucks. A larger percentage of hunters in PA has been going less by the old rule "if it's brown it's down" and waiting to see older more mature bucks and taking out the slick heads. Granted too many parts of the state badly over hunted and damn near eradicated the deer population but them old whiley whitetails are hard to keep down! They are bouncing back to a manageable population that the habitat can support. And it seems the hunters in many areas actually grew some brains and are trying NOT to take out the little 2 year olds. The 3 and 4 point to one side rule has helped greatly in this as well.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

There has never been anyplace in the state of PA where the deer herd has been almost eradicated the last 90 years. There are places where there were far too many deer and a blind deaf man could kill one that now has closer to what should be there and is being allowed to increase slowly. I really dislike terms like eradicated when it comes to the deer in PA. People who were use to going into the woods and sitting on the same stump for 30 years that could no longer do that and actually had to hunt for deer were not happy with that. In fact there were people in their late 20s who never saw anything than an overpopulation of deer and didn't know or care they were over populated and cried gloom and doom and the deer were being exterminated. There should have never been the numbers of deer in the big woods that there were before herd reduction. It is a funny thing, one man cries doom and gloom and the deer are gone, yet another man hunting the same area, hunting being the operative word, has no trouble killing a deer. Reduced herd, absolutely, almost eradicated afraid not. By the way, the fact that we are getting bigger racks in PA now is every much the result of antler restrictions as hunters holding back. 80% of our buck didn't live beyond 1 1/2 years old prior to antler restrictions and as you know you don't get big buck unless they live long enough to get big. It is just unfortunate that PA hunters raised such a stink every time, for many decades every time the Biologists wanted to reduce our herd predicting an extreme over population if it didn't happen, protesting at commission meetings and going to legislators who didn't give a darn about anything but votes who in turn threatened to take the authority to set doe license numbers away and have it done by legislation. I would have loved to see that, they would not have done it long. Had hunters not gone wild about deer population reduction each time the subject was brought up and cause the problem to build until there came a board of commissioners with the courage to say we are going to do what is right for the land and the deer and let the legislators rant, the reduction would not have had to be as extreme, it would have been gradual and not nearly notices as much. The fact that the biologist who was asked to run the reduction program got death threats for him as well as his wife and he wore body armor every time he left his house shows how contentious some hunters were and how little they really knew, or cared about the deer herd so long as it was easy for them to get a deer. This is really a sore subject for me because I lived through it and saw what happened. So when I see or hear someone say the deer herd was eradicated in areas of the state, I tend to make a long response. Nothing personal.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-11-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.