Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newbie Needs Help

Old 06-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is no single answer. As stated, it depends on which state.

As a general rule, you should keep your gun in a case until you reach the area you are actually going to hunt.

That said, lets take Colorado for example. It is not legal to shoot from a vehicle even in public lands on 4 wheel drive roads. You much exit the vehicle and get a certain distance off the "road". Not sure of the distance, so you will have to look that up.

It is legal in Colorado to have your rifle out of the case in your automobile and even have ammunition in the magazine, but NOT in the chamber. However, on an ATV or UTV, you must have the gun inside a case and COMPLETELY unloaded.

So, there is no single answer to your question, because it varies depending on the situation. Looks like you got some good info on CA. But I agree you should probably try and hook up with someone who has hunted where you will be hunting

Last edited by txhunter58; 06-05-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Spike

You can take it out when & where it is legal. I.e. open season AND allows rifles. The areas I hunt in PA are shotgun only so the answer here for when can you take your rifle out for deer is NEVER. As others stated your digest should clarify the seasons & regs
Old 06-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know what you figured out and how things work out for you.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

What are you asking? (When do I know that it is okay to take out my rifle when I go out hunting? ) Your question is not clear enough for us to help you.

Clarify your question and read your regulations for the state you are hunting in, you can find the hunting brochure where you buy your license.