Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newbie Needs Help

Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
We would probably need more specifics to answer your question. What state you would be hunting in could determine some of the answer. Also, where you're hunting, for what, etc. Congratulations on passing your Hunter Ed.
Thanks you! I would be hunting in CA. Hopefully for wild hog or deer when the season opens.

As for more specifics, is it as long as I am in CDFW/BLM land during hunting hours that I can take out my rifle?

Do I need to check-in with any government officials before taking out my rifle?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It is ok to take your rifle out when it is the hunting season. When you buy your license you will get a digest of seasons and bag limits with the license. Some seasons may or may not allow rifles, some require shotguns. To tell the truth, I am suspicious that you may be a troll because if you passed your hunter education course you should know the answer to the question you ask. If this is a legitimate post, I suggest you join a sportsman's club and meet people who hunt and learn from them.
Sportsman's club sounds interesting. Do you know any good ones in CA?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by julianrmartinez43
Thanks you! I would be hunting in CA. Hopefully for wild hog or deer when the season opens.

Good Luck. I was stationed in CA for 3 years. I took deer but I had to work for them. CA has screwy laws and weird seasons.

As for more specifics, is it as long as I am in CDFW/BLM land during hunting hours that I can take out my rifle?

If you are on public lands like BLM and CDFW during times it is legal to be on them you can carry a firearm.

You do know this is the USA right? You do not need to check with any "govt official" to lawfully carry or use a firearm for anything including hunting.
From the posts you have made it appears that you don't know much about hunting and from what you have said it sure seems like your hunting ed teacher didn't teach you much. I strongly suggest you try to hook up with an experienced hunter to get some field experience.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
From the posts you have made it appears that you don't know much about hunting and from what you have said it sure seems like your hunting ed teacher didn't teach you much. I strongly suggest you try to hook up with an experienced hunter to get some field experience.
I would certainly second that suggestion!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by julianrmartinez43

That information helps. You don't need to check in with any government officials prior to taking out your rifle on public or private land. Refuges can sometimes be a different story so you'd want to look it up depending on the specific refuge.

In CA, hunting licenses are on a budget year calendar (July 1 through June 30th). Your hunter safety class should have given you a Hunter Safety Certificate with an ID # on it. You need that certificate # to obtain your first hunting license (see link below for more details). Once you have your hunter safety certificate input into the system (it takes a few days for the info to show up in the computer database online), you can buy a license at a sales office, licensed agent or online (they mail your license and tags to you if you do it online).

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensing/Hunter-Education

If you haven't already gone through the process of registering your hunter safety certificate and don't currently have you hunting license, you're probably going to miss the drawing deadline for premium deer tags, elk, sheep and antelope. If you already have your hunter safety certificate entered in the system, you can apply for a license and premium tags online but the deadline is June 2, 2016 at midnight (tomorrow night). Here's the link for online licenses.

https://www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales/

Now for the good news. If you haven't submitted your hunter safety certificate and it's not entered in the computer, don't worry. Go to the DFW regional office nearest you and bring your wallet (they will want to see your driver's license or some form of picture ID), checkbook and/or debit or credit card to pay for your license and tags. The staff will walk you through the process for your first license, etc.

Depending on where you live, there will likely be available general deer tags for your area. Most deer seasons are in September or October so you're not too late for that. Pig tags are good year round so you'll have plenty of time for that.

If you need more information, post further questions or feel free to PM me.

CalHunter
Old 06-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-02-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Warning
Old 06-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to the CDFW/BLM sites and read the hunting info posted there to get a better understanding of what you need to know or consider. Once you get an idea of season dates and reg.'s, double check upcoming season dates for new regulations. Then, if you have questions, you can be more specific. Good luck!

Last edited by Game Stalker; 06-01-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
...Deleted by CalHunter...
You know Cal, I think that a long time hunter/member like myself could call a spade a spade without getting warned?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gjersy
You know Cal, I think that a long time hunter/member like myself could call a spade a spade without getting warned?

Check your PM Inbox.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-03-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

CalHunter I got your PM, I can't seem to respond/reply? I've had troubles responding to PM's before, I don't care for PM's. I'll try later, I just wanted you to know I'm not intentionally ignoring you, have a good one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.