Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Sept Moose Hunting?

Old 04-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did a moose hunt in NF two years ago. My friend and I each got meat bulls. Mine a bit bigger than his. But we went for the hunt not a trophy. The country is pretty cool. Do yourself a favor and don't count on bagging a monster bull. You may get lucky and I hope you do but any bull is a good one. You get quite a bit of meat. I still have some left. And it is delicious.
Also ask your guide how much a "stumble on" bear would be. I wish I would have gotten a bear tag. My second day out me and my guide spotted a monster black bear eating berries on the side of the hill. He was every bit of 400 lbs and had a huge skull. Definitely would have made the book.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I have an application in for a Maine moose tag. I have a friend that guides there and he can guarantee me a good bull.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
That's a great photo Phil!
Thanks Rob.. That is the biggest one I have called out myself but have called plenty of them. I had a moose tag up here for a bull in 2009 after waiting almost 30 years. It took me a whole 15 minutes to call one out during the October hunt.. It wasn't anything big but my hunting partner and I had already decided the first one we see if it was legal was going down and I nailed him.. A 2 year old close to 600 lbs. dressed with 4 points..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-16-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronko, we do have a stumble upon bear tag. It was fairly reasonable and worth having in our pocket just in case.

In regard to Bulls, the outfitter we chose has a 95% success rate. 75% are over 40" wide which is what we are looking for. We have high hopes, but it is still hunting wild free range animals so anything can happen.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like an exciting hunt Phil.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

A Newfoundland hunt would be fun.. From what I see, they have a ton of moose.....not as big as many places, but so what? If I lived back east, Newfoundland would be on my bucket list but it's just too far from Montana...Western Canada made more sense for me. I hunt as much for the meat as for the memories and fun.....getting meat back here from Newfoundland would be a challenge....

Hope you have half way decent weather.... Newfoundland isn't known for bluebird kinds of days. You'll have a good time regardless of the weather.. Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Tatonka! I have been there 3 times hunting for Woodland caribou. I don't recall many bluebird days or warm temps. Wind and rain seem to be constants. I hope that continues for our moose hunt and we have weather conducive to animals moving.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ya, we used to refuel in St. Johns when I was in the Coast Guard.... did several patrols up in the Davis Straits between Labrador and Greenland. Don't ever recall a sunny day up there. As a matter of fact, I recall one patrol where we weren't allowed on deck because it was too rough and icy... That was a long 6 weeks.. On the way back we had to beat the ice off the ship with baseball bats as it was caking on from the spray.... But I've seen shows on tv of Newfoundland when the sun was shining, so I know it shines there once in a while! Spent New Years Eve in St. Johns in 1971, but that's a story for somewhere other than here...
Old 04-26-2016, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haha, I would like to hear that story!
Old 04-28-2016, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'll be looking for photos from your hunt! Hopefully you'll find one of their big ones....with all the moose in Newfoundland, you can bet there are some good ones to be found (even though it seems people tend to shoot smaller ones on the hunting shows on tv). They all eat good and it's the same amount of fun regardless of the size of the critter.

Where in Vermont did you day you lived? I was born and raised in Salisbury.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our goal is a mature bull with paddles and 40"+ wide. Our outfitter has done quite well with bulls this size so we are optimistic. I know it will be a hard hunt and yes, many who hunt The Rock shoot the first moose they see.

I live just east of Montpelier in Washington county.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.