Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations? >

Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Old 03-22-2016, 05:17 AM
Spike

Default Newfoundland Moose Outfitter Recommendations?

Hi all,

My friends and I are doing our research for Moose Outfitters in Newfoundland. This will be our first moose hunt in Newfoundland.

Anyone know of or have experience with the following:

- Long Range Mountain Outfitters
- Patey & Sons
- Parsons Pond Outfitters

??

The number of outfitters to choose from is overwhelming. We really want a quality, great value hunt with honest guides. Obviously we do not want to get ripped off, but we aren't limiting our selection based on price. Terrain is also important - we are leaning towards fly-in camps with no interruption from vehicle or ATV traffic.

Appreciate any feedback or guidance on the above listed outfitters
here.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Upstate,

I have no experience with the 3 outfitters you have listed, but have been to The Rock 3 times caribou hunting. The people of Newfoundland are very nice and for the most part very honest. You tend not to see the issues with outfitters like you do in Quebec. With that said, you still need to do your homework. Ask lots of questions and check references.

Newfoundland has the highest concentration of moose in North America. Most places should have a very high success rate (90%+) on moose. What you didn't say is what kind of moose would you be satisfied with? A cow, any bull, only a trophy bull? The answer to that question may help you narrow down your list. Also what type of hunting are you expecting and what kind of shape are you in. The terrain doesn't look to bad, but the boggy ground and tuckamore brush can be very difficult to navigate through. Riding in a truck or atv versus hiking the bogs on foot are two very different hunts.

Don't get hung up on fly in is better than drive to. Drive to camps can be very remote and getting off the roads is the key to not seeing locals.

I am currently researching outfitters for moose for my daughter and me. We are looking for a mature bull with paddles and a 40"+ spread. Not an easy task for NF. I caribou hunted with Snowshoe Lake Hunting & Fishing run by Ron Hicks and his family. Great place and I would like to go back, but I am not convinced they have the caliber of big bull moose we are looking for. They are great people though and will cater to all your needs.

Best of luck in your search. NF is a beautiful place so enjoy every minute of it.

. . . Rob

Last edited by Rob in VT; 03-22-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hope it works out for you. I had begun making preparations for a moose/caribou/bear hunt in NF back in 2004. But I got the chance to go to Cameroon instead and I opted for Africa over Canada. Then along came a little blonde unit in 2005 and my level of "expendable" income seems to have greatly diminished.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:15 PM
Spike

Rob - thank you for this insight, much appreciated. Your point on the drive-in camps is well taken. From the reference calls we have done it seems like fly-in camps do pose the risk of being grounded at base camp prior due to fog/poor flying conditions, so I guess that's something else to consider. As this is our first moose trip we will be happy with any decent sized Bull, but would also love an opportunity for sighting or a chance at a real beauty.

flags - a blonde unit of my own arrived recently as well, that's why I gotta get the trip in now before the cash is gone forever!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot Ron Hicks an email at Snowshoe Lake. He is a great guy, has a great camp, and their success rate on moose is over 90%. He tells me there average bull is 36" wide. It's worth sending an email to inquire about a hunt. Tell him Rob from Vermont sent you.

[email protected]
Old 03-28-2016, 04:11 PM
LRO
Spike

Originally Posted by upstatewhitetail
Hi all,

My friends and I are doing our research for Moose Outfitters in Newfoundland. This will be our first moose hunt in Newfoundland.

Anyone know of or have experience with the following:

- Long Range Mountain Outfitters
- Patey & Sons
- Parsons Pond Outfitters

??

The number of outfitters to choose from is overwhelming. We really want a quality, great value hunt with honest guides. Obviously we do not want to get ripped off, but we aren't limiting our selection based on price. Terrain is also important - we are leaning towards fly-in camps with no interruption from vehicle or ATV traffic.

Appreciate any feedback or guidance on the above listed outfitters
here.
Why Newfoundland ? If you don't mind me asking sir
Old 03-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most likely because Newfoundland give you the most bang for your buck. Alberta tends to be more money for similar size Bulls. When you get into BC you are trending towards $10k-$18k if you get towards the Yukon border.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by LRO
Why Newfoundland ? If you don't mind me asking sir
After doing our research, the cost/benefit of Newfoundland is best for us and what we can afford right now. The strong bull population in Newfoundland and the prices of most outfitters make it an appealing proposition.

Also, we are located in the Northeast, so driving and taking the ferry is not an inconvenience for us at all in terms of budgeting extra time off from work for travel and the cost of travel.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunted there 3 times for caribou always at Snowshoe Lake. Friendly people, beautiful country and a fun ferry trip.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

NF Moose is defiantly on my bucket list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.