Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting in West Virginia

Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default Hunting in West Virginia

I'm looking for a lease or hunt club in WV to hunt bear, deer and turkey. I would only be hunting a few times a year. I hunt out of a tent so having a place that offers electric and water is a plus. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

I'm planning on hunting public land in WV this season. Going down a few times this summer to camp/scout a few spots with the family. Then hopefully find some deer in season. Doesn't really help you much, but good luck!
-Jake
Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 AM
car
Typical Buck

With being from another state I'm not to crazy about hunting nor camping on public land.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why?

Old 03-19-2016, 07:37 AM
car
Typical Buck

Camping in a tent you really can't secure much. Leaving stands/cameras on public land usually results in them growing legs. Locals seeing an out of state license plate. I'm not trying to be negative just stating the facts. Hunting on private ground/gated with others knowing you're suppose to be there does give you a more secure feeling but all of the above could still happen.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Why?

Public land in the east is WAY different than in the west. There are often tons of people on limited sized properties, what car said are some legitimate concerns. There is a WMA not that far from me that will have over 50 cars in the lot on opening day. The land is less than 1000 acres total, and its not uncommon to have 75-100 people hunting there. Ridiculous.

Car, I can't help you on clubs...don't know any. I know a guy that joined a club down in the southern part of the state... I think in the 4 bowhunting only counties. Big parcels of private land, giant bucks. The deer population is quite low down there, but the size of the bucks due to bow only is pretty amazing. Not sure if that is something you are after or not. I haven't talked to him in a while, he seemed excited about it when he joined.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tons of hunters are here too. Besides i'm originally from Mass and hunted all over New England.
Old 03-20-2016, 03:52 PM
car
Typical Buck

Tons of hunters are here too. Besides i'm originally from Mass and hunted all over New England.

I bear hunt in NH and Maine!
Old 03-21-2016, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I liked bear hunting better back there. Too much land here for bear hunting. In the fall they can roam 10-15 miles a day. It takes some luck to find one.

I've never done well when I have to depend on luck to hunt. I can pattern elk, but not bears.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can pattern elk, but not bears.
Water is the key to patterning bear in CO and the rest the Southern Rockies. In the fall they are eating a lot and they need a lot of water. Find the water source they like using and make that the center of your pattern. I took all my bear in CO by focusing on water and not food sources since water is not as widely available in most places there and they have to water at least once a day, twice when it is hot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.