Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Looking for ANY input on a WY hunt... >

Looking for ANY input on a WY hunt...

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Looking for ANY input on a WY hunt...

Old 03-01-2016, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flags
That's too bad. Last time I hunted there was about 5 years ago and tags were easy to come by and there were very few hunters. But, things change over time. I have 4 preference points for WY that I'll probably cash in next year for a good buck.
Yea, this PP system that's been in effect for 10 years now has screwed up an awful lot of units that used to be pretty easy to draw when it was all at random. Cripes, the unit I like and quit applying for used to be close to 100% before PPs started and now it takes about 5PPs to even have a chance at a tag. I've even been shut out on doe tags the last two years when there used to be a lot of leftovers. Anyway, I've got Donnie all set for his hunt!
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you all so much.,.... COUNTING THE DAYS!

* Now delete this thread so no one goes to the "secret location" LOL
Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

I might try to sneak in to that secret location next year
Old 03-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

Drive through Kansas and pick me up, I'll go!

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I might try to sneak in to that secret location next year
Old 03-04-2016, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

WY special tags vs. regular, will cost you more but get you a better tag sooner... usually, check the odds etc...

Also in WY 1 point is a huge advantage vs. 0 pts. especially when looking at 1pt special vs. 0pts regular...

good luck!
Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Drive through Kansas and pick me up, I'll go!
I've driven, and ridden a motorcycle, through kansas and the bugs have made me decide to try to avoid that state from now on.. Wanna meet me in Nebraska???
-Jake
Old 03-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Donnie B. make sure you get out there on opening weekend of the Antelope hunt, as they are running scared to the private land/hard to get places, after they get shot at
Old 03-07-2016, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
Well Donnie B. make sure you get out there on opening weekend of the Antelope hunt, as they are running scared to the private land/hard to get places, after they get shot at
I haven't found this to be true. WY has a long goat season and I've been there as late as the last 2 weeks of it and have always filled the tag. Pronghorn are territorial and while they may clear out for a day or two they will return to the home range. Go back in the middle of the week and they will be trotting along in the same place you find them on opening day.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I've driven, and ridden a motorcycle, through kansas and the bugs have made me decide to try to avoid that state from now on.. Wanna meet me in Nebraska???
-Jake
All joking aside, I'd gladly meet in NE if you're ever up for a hunting partner out west! Just say the word. Ex- military, non-smoker, likes long moonlit..... wait wrong forum.

Originally Posted by flags
I haven't found this to be true. WY has a long goat season and I've been there as late as the last 2 weeks of it and have always filled the tag. Pronghorn are territorial and while they may clear out for a day or two they will return to the home range. Go back in the middle of the week and they will be trotting along in the same place you find them on opening day.
I agree.... My plan would be to wait til later in the season, and drive out on a weekend for a midweek hunt.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

So I have an over the counter area planned out, but I'd also be interested in opinions as to what areas I might want to apply for even tho the chances are low. I assume I can then apply for other areas as backups that have a higher probability. And if ALL that flops... I still have the over the counter option, and the points to roll over?

Do I understand all this ok?

Thanks
Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.