Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Need help with elk license draw colorado >

Need help with elk license draw colorado

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help with elk license draw colorado

Old 02-12-2016, 08:02 PM
Spike

Muley, so what you are saying is put my first choice like unit 49 or an area that is at the top of my list to draw and I might get lucky to get it. If I don't I will get a pp and then try for a 2nd choice. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the explanations. Do you have any suggestions for good areas to put in for? I haven't gotten that far yet in my research. Seemed like 49 was looking good but I was just looking at non otc areas. Do most people just keep trying areas until they find one they like and find game?
Old 02-13-2016, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, I said you need to pick a unit that you have some chance of getting. You have 1 point and unit 49 needs 4 points to get. If you don't have some sort of odds to get the tag with 1 point it makes no sense to try.

You could pick unit 48 and be guaranteed a tag with 1 point. 18 of 70 hunters got it with no points. That means everybody got a tag with 1 point.

I'm not going to find a unit for you. I consider that as part of the hunt and you should be doing it. I'm just trying to show you what to look for. Every unit is different. You need to find what suits you best.

Another option is to call the DOW and ask to speak to a Hunt Planner. They'll help you actually find a unit.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Spike

Thanks Muley I appreciate it. I didn't want you to find me an area, I was just asking for suggestions so I can look at some maps and pick one. Just wondering what everyone that finds an area looks at. I want to find one that I can go back for years.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by broncocliff
Thanks Muley I appreciate it. I didn't want you to find me an area, I was just asking for suggestions so I can look at some maps and pick one. Just wondering what everyone that finds an area looks at. I want to find one that I can go back for years.
I look for good amounts of public land that is away from major roads. I like for there to be good dependable sources of water in the area (beaver ponds are good), I like thick heavily timbered ridges that face north. In early seasons elk get hot and they will lay up on north facing hills since they are cooler.

I like some benches and some saddles for ambush points and some secluded meadows. I want a variety of trees meaning I want pines, aspens and scrub oak. And I like it to be somewhat rougher since that keeps a lot of people out. I don't want to be able to drive up to a kill because if I can then too many people will be in the area. I want to bone them and pack them out.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by broncocliff
After you decide on a unit. Go to this site and get a map for it. It will show you the hot spots in that unit. This is a friend of mine, and he puts a lot of work into his maps. It will save you a lot of time and should help you recognize what goods spots are in the future.

He's a one man operation. If you call you'll get him on the phone. He'll help you find a unit too and choose what sort of map you need. He has many options for his maps.

http://startmyhunt.com/elktracker-maps-2/

Last edited by Muley Hunter; 02-14-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Spike

Thanks flags for what you look for in an area. I had about 8 maps out last night trying to find a good area. I'm trying to stick to south side of i70 because my brother is coming up from the springs to meet me but it is not set in stone. I like the looks of 45, 48, 36. I always love camping in the Holy cross area.
Thanks for the website Muley, it has a lot of info on it and I will be ordering a map from him when I choose an area. You can't have enough maps. I don't think I'm going to put in for an area that will take all my points I want to get to 5 and try for a limited area.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Then you better not try for any units as a 1st pick until you have 5 points. Seems like a waste of 5 years to me.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Then you better not try for any units as a 1st pick until you have 5 points. Seems like a waste of 5 years to me.
Do you not feel there is any area to wait for 5 points? Why do you think it is a waste to collect pp? I would love to find an area that I can hunt for years and not have to worry about another area. I have tried a few areas for a few years and have not been successful.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

No one is saying elk hunting is easy. What if you don't have success in a 5 point unit?

In Colorado 260,000 elk tags are sold every year. 43,000 elk are killed every year. That's 217,00 hunters who failed at getting an elk.

Just keep this in mind. If you learn from your mistakes. You should become a better elk hunter every year. However, you won't become a better elk hunter by saving points. Instead of saving points to try to make the hunt easier. Work harder at becoming a better hunter. Hunters are successful every year in zero to one point units. Become one of them.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
No one is saying elk hunting is easy. What if you don't have success in a 5 point unit?

In Colorado 260,000 elk tags are sold every year. 43,000 elk are killed every year. That's 217,00 hunters who failed at getting an elk.

Just keep this in mind. If you learn from your mistakes. You should become a better elk hunter every year. However, you won't become a better elk hunter by saving points. Instead of saving points to try to make the hunt easier. Work harder at becoming a better hunter. Hunters are successful every year in zero to one point units. Become one of them.
Point taken, thanks for the explanation. I am trying to become a better hunter. Reading books, looking at maps and trying to scout when I can. They are hard animals to find. It seems like the longest week when you are planning it but it goes so quick during the hunting season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.